For the love of Hydrangeas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Searched---did not find a thread dedicated to hydrangeas so here is one.
I have 13 varieties of them on my property . So from time to time I will try to grab a picture to place here .

Will start with this lovely fellow who has been with me about 12 years now. perfect shrub. just adore what he offers me this year. A little about him/her---This hydrangea name is paniculata Kyushu originally from the Japanese island of Kyushu brought to the U.K. And then to Washington state. And now in my back yard. see the up close shot of the flowers.
KKKKHydrangea.jpg
upclose KKKHydrangea.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
A really lovely hydrangea and does seem to have Japanese look about its growth, sort of layered, sort of, you know what I meano_O I hope.
So many hydrangeas, I didn't realize there was such a variety. I think I have 3 different types, the standard one, lace cap and panicula something..
I am looking forward to your next 12 installments :).
And I see one your lovely hostas underneath. They really are lovely. I've tried a few times but they disappear so I'm too nervous to try again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's absolutely beautiful!
My mother grows many hydrangeas in her garden. They've just started blooming. I'll take a picture of them when I visit my parents:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful hydrangea! Can't wait to see the rest of your other 11 types of hydrangeas. This white one you have is one that I think so fancy looking :)

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, your hydrangea is gorgeous :) I have always wanted to grow them, but i never dared to do so, mostly because I the danger I heard they represent for pets, but I thought it was so cool that their colors cold change to much depending on the acidity of their soil :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
what is the danger for pets. Never heard that. Have 6 cats and had dogs, there is no issues to either.
did look it up, yes, says they are dangerous to pets. LOL. but that is if they eat them. Hey, if they eat the pine needles from conifers, if they eat the leaves that are dropped, if they eat , other things. My cats have not ever eaten leaves any from any of my plants. Sometime they munch on a piece of grass, but cats know what they are to eat.

And the acidity thing is not really true for all hydranges, only a small section of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
sorry, clicked some twice. Ok, the last one is --one of my favorites, I can find the name for you if truly interested. why my favorite, because under the velvet green leaves, the belly if pure white, love when it flickers in the wind. And it is a zone 4, so a very study one for really cold weather.

the one above that one, the pink lace cap, with the pink astelbies, (cannot find the name) but it is a short variety, it will only grow 4 foot high and wide a lovely little one for a garden. They have small type. And the pic above that one is the same but up close.

the one with the blue hostas is an Oakleaf hydranga, later the leaves turn red, for good color in the garden, and the cone flowers remain cream, see how I put the blue hosta with the plant that will turn red later. decorating.

The one with the lily, (cannot recall the name at all) but it is about 20 feet tall, I am pruning it into a small tree shape. It remains white.

above the lily/hydranga, is a purple lace cap (no clue the name) its not too tall,
about 4 foot.

the next two above that, are the same, have no clue the name .

the very first on the top, is a Annabelle, a also very hardy zone 4 one. It is on the side of the house that get the most wind in the winter, keeps coming back every year. But it flops easy with the weight of the flowers that are huge. You have to stake them early before the flowers are full size and before any huge storm hits . I am told there is a stronger type out there. When I prune this one, I keep the old wood on to help cage the new growth for the following year for support.

Most I do not prune, but if do it is only to shape some. And I do nothing about the color of them, leave them as they are. Most of them I had shipped in from Heronswood Nursery in Washington State. We also went up there to select some for shipment home. A wonderful experience.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
sorry, clicked some twice. Ok, the last one is --one of my favorites, I can find the name for you if truly interested. why my favorite, because under the velvet green leaves, the belly if pure white, love when it flickers in the wind. And it is a zone 4, so a very study one for really cold weather.

the one above that one, the pink lace cap, with the pink astelbies, (cannot find the name) but it is a short variety, it will only grow 4 foot high and wide a lovely little one for a garden. They have small type. And the pic above that one is the same but up close.

the one with the blue hostas is an Oakleaf hydranga, later the leaves turn red, for good color in the garden, and the cone flowers remain cream, see how I put the blue hosta with the plant that will turn red later. decorating.

The one with the lily, (cannot recall the name at all) but it is about 20 feet tall, I am pruning it into a small tree shape. It remains white.

above the lily/hydranga, is a purple lace cap (no clue the name) its not too tall,
about 4 foot.

the next two above that, are the same, have no clue the name .

the very first on the top, is a Annabelle, a also very hardy zone 4 one. It is on the side of the house that get the most wind in the winter, keeps coming back every year. But it flops easy with the weight of the flowers that are huge. You have to stake them early before the flowers are full size and before any huge storm hits . I am told there is a stronger type out there. When I prune this one, I keep the old wood on to help cage the new growth for the following year for support.

Most I do not prune, but if do it is only to shape some. And I do nothing about the color of them, leave them as they are. Most of them I had shipped in from Heronswood Nursery in Washington State. We also went up there to select some for shipment home. A wonderful experience.

Love them all Esther. :love:The white one and the lily is a stunning combination and its height of 20 feet must be an incredible sight..
Great hint to use the old wood as supports.Thanks;)
You say you most you do not prune. I thought you had to prune them all so that's good to know. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
All hydrangeas are not created equal. Some bloom on new growth such as the Annabelle, which is why I leave the old growth only 1/2 cut down, so the new growth grows around it, and the old helps contain the heavy flowers. Other types bloom on old stems, so only maybe a 1/4 pruning to just shape is all you need. It is an interesting study. There are some of mine I have never pruned yet going on 5 years. the Kyushu one, I have never pruned, its about 10 years old. I do check shrubs for cross rubbing of branches to guide them, or remove them if they appear abnormal in the form it will be. that is about it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very Nice Esther, remind me of when I was little :)

Hope you're having a good Birthday too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
thank you Zig. at work now. we are going to the Vickers Restaurant later for dinner. Then tomorrow to a Fiddlers Picnic hoe-down. Then to my friends house, she always does a little party for me. Not sure about Sunday.

Ask a Question