Food Preservation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
May I suggest an entry for Food Preservation.
Pressure Canning.
Water Bath Canning.
Pickling.
Dehydrating.
Freezing.
Recipes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This would be valuable for our members, in my opinion. So many people are beginning to "save" food for later use, and might need and/or appreciate some advice from folks who have actually done the preservation.
Good idea, Durgan!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the suggestion Durgan, let me leave this for a week or so to get some feedback from other members then I'll see how it will go down :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, yes, please! This would be such an informative thread to have all in one place. I am sure we can find the information we need online, but to hear and learn the methods of real people, would be wonderful to have!

Reaction score
I like it, I think we should have a section with tips and recipes for preservation. Because the only reason I want to get into growing edibles is for preserving the things I harvest! I'd love tips on how to preserve my chillies and green tomatoes. I also have a lot great recipes for making some really cool and traditional candies using sugar and fruit (as well as some water)! Like for example this:

ate_de_guayaba1.jpg

It is named ''Ate de guayaba'', it is made with guavas, sugar and water. People where I live grow also quince, so they make this when they harvest those as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It might be nice to have a harvest forum however I would like to see it NOT be a place to post umpteen links and no "sharing" conversations.

In the meantime you might want to visit forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest

there are a lot of experienced food preservation folks there.

Ask a Question