Foam Like Fungus?

Reaction score
Hello!

Around this time last year our tree came under attack of a fungus type that eventually killed the tree. The city department came and removed the tree. However, the fungus has reappeared and I cannot identify the type of fungus that it is. The worst part is that it seems to be spreading to my moms garden where it has affected a rose bush and killed it. My mother is worried about the future of her garden. I hope someone can help identify the fungus or whatever it is and guide us in steps to contain/kill off the fungus. Thank you!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello!

Around this time last year our tree came under attack of a fungus type that eventually killed the tree. The city department came and removed the tree. However, the fungus has reappeared and I cannot identify the type of fungus that it is. The worst part is that it seems to be spreading to my moms garden where it has affected a rose bush and killed it. My mother is worried about the future of her garden. I hope someone can help identify the fungus or whatever it is and guide us in steps to contain/kill off the fungus. Thank you! View attachment 3394
View attachment 3395
I believe the fungus pics you have shown are the spore mats of cotton root rot. I have seen this same thing on large okra patches, on peach trees, hibiscus plants and others. If this is cotton root rot it is a very serious condition that origionates in the soil itself and must be treated aggressively. You didn't say what kind of tree it was that died. If it is CRR get in touch with your County Extension Agent or similar official and follow directions. Also, where do you live?

Reaction score
I believe the fungus pics you have shown are the spore mats of cotton root rot. I have seen this same thing on large okra patches, on peach trees, hibiscus plants and others. If this is cotton root rot it is a very serious condition that origionates in the soil itself and must be treated aggressively. You didn't say what kind of tree it was that died. If it is CRR get in touch with your County Extension Agent or similar official and follow directions. Also, where do you live?

Thank you for the information and the quick reply! I believe the tree we had was a Jacaranda tree. I also live in Southern Los Angeles, California. One thing I noticed while removing the "spore mats" was that it seemed to be stemming from the original tree trunk that is located underneath the grass. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 869
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the information and the quick reply! I believe the tree we had was a Jacaranda tree. I also live in Southern Los Angeles, California. One thing I noticed while removing the "spore mats" was that it seemed to be stemming from the original tree trunk that is located underneath the grass. Thank you.
These questions may seem a little strange but bear with me. How old was the tree? What variety of rose? Is limestone a major part of your soil and bedrock. Are these mats affecting the grass or is the pics of the grass normal over the entire yard? Patchy here and there and maybe looking dead where there are no mats? Are any other plants looking like they are dying and if so what kind? I understand you are having extreme drought and heat?

Reaction score
These questions may seem a little strange but bear with me. How old was the tree? What variety of rose? Is limestone a major part of your soil and bedrock. Are these mats affecting the grass or is the pics of the grass normal over the entire yard? Patchy here and there and maybe looking dead where there are no mats? Are any other plants looking like they are dying and if so what kind? I understand you are having extreme drought and heat?
Sounds good! So the tree was full grown at the time we moved into the house which was about 10 years ago. I would roughly say it was of the age of 20-30 years. As for the roses, they were regular red roses that you could buy at Home Depot and plant. I'm not to knowledgable in gardening to provide precise numbers and names and I apologize if I'm way off on some of the answers. In regards to limestone, we don't have that in the garden. The mats are like patches they're here and there but remain close where the tree was before. I don't believe the grass is being affected because other areas of grass are perfectly fine. I did not explain something earlier which is that the tree was located outside our house and on the sidewalk and it had spread over the fence and into the garden. It has managed to kill 3 roses of the same kind and created the same foam like ball on top of the roots of the roses. At the moment here we are in drought and the temperatures have been in the high 80s. I hope this helps! Thank you once again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds good! So the tree was full grown at the time we moved into the house which was about 10 years ago. I would roughly say it was of the age of 20-30 years. As for the roses, they were regular red roses that you could buy at Home Depot and plant. I'm not to knowledgable in gardening to provide precise numbers and names and I apologize if I'm way off on some of the answers. In regards to limestone, we don't have that in the garden. Theroot system mats are like patches they're here and there but remain close where the tree was before. I don't believe the grass is being affected because other areas of grass are perfectly fine. I did not explain something earlier which is that the tree was located outside our house and on the sidewalk and it had spread over the fence and into the garden. It has managed to kill 3 roses of the same kind and created the same foam like ball on top of the roots of the roses. At the moment here we are in drought and the temperatures have been in the high 80s. I hope this helps! Thank you once again.
Your answers helped to eliminate cotton root rot as a primary source. Old roses and jacaranda trees are suseptible to cotton root rot but CCR is not prevelant where limestone is not a factor. What has happened here is the tree died of stress due to the lingering drought and old age and the root system of that tree has grown over the decades to encompase a large area and those roots are now decomposing and the fungal mats are prevelant. When a root system as prevelant as a 30 year old tree dies the roots of that tree suck nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes and that root system will cover a large area. The fungal mats that are showing up are only signs of decomposition and nothing to worry about. Probably the reason the roses died is because of lack of water. If a rose gets dry one time it is hard to rejunivate it. And with the severe drought you folks in Calif. have been experiencing keeping a full grown rose bush properly watered will be difficult at best. IMO

Reaction score
Thank you so much Chuck! Your explanation really helps put everything together for me and my mom. Thank you jewell for your response as well.

Ask a Question