We-are-all-mad-here

Mad Topiary Dreams
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy Gardeners,

I am a solo lawn putterer who has run into a problem google can’t solve. So, I have mad topiary dreams: like animal topiary level of madness. I also have a majestic ancient live oak towering above my 3-story Queen Anne house, which provides glorious shade from the Florida heat and endless free mulch in the form of leaves and Spanish moss, but also makes for challenging gardening.

BB366E65-2B6F-4975-8C27-3B87B5576335.jpeg

I did my research and settled on boxwood and Eugenia Uniflora as shade-inhabiting topiary bushes. I ordered a few tiny sprigs from a nursery and decided to wait a couple years to see how they did.

I believe this is the third year. Growth has been pretty slow. I didn’t use any fertilizer, just layers and layers of leaf mulch. The boxwood is small, but plush. Some of the Eugenia look plush, but others are pretty straggly. The tallest one in particular is sadly sparse: it’s just got one central stem. I guess that would be ideal for ball topiary but I wanna make a hippocampus. I trim the ends to get branching where I can, but can’t compensate for the single stem.

Is there anything that can be done to plush out these plants? Like should I cut the whole thing off low down and hope for more branching? Should I plant more bushes close around them? I can’t find an answer to this specific problem for this specific plant on google.

Also the boxwoods: should I let them grow freely until big enough to shape into dolphins, or will they grow better/plusher if I keep them groomed into a ball or something until they’re big?

I’m feeling pretty stuck and would really appreciate advice, if anyone would be good enough to share their time and expertise.

Attachments

• 0069F66E-47F4-4A0E-82E8-8CE4E4D3DA37.jpeg
    0069F66E-47F4-4A0E-82E8-8CE4E4D3DA37.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 1635B793-4873-4623-BC2D-69F90978A876.jpeg
    1635B793-4873-4623-BC2D-69F90978A876.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 45
  • 22F340D8-EA37-43F1-8BC2-CD970B3EE182.jpeg
    22F340D8-EA37-43F1-8BC2-CD970B3EE182.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 44
  • F2AA5CB2-1D98-4283-90DF-365F1C2F6C9A.jpeg
    F2AA5CB2-1D98-4283-90DF-365F1C2F6C9A.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There's nothing some fertilizer can't fix. Use either an all-purpose complete or a lawn food without weed-killer. The lawn food will be high in Nitrogen which will help stimulate strong green growth. You can also trim lightly once a month or so to encourage branching. If you want the single stem one to branch lower you can cut it anywhere that fits your plan. Trim the boxwoods if they get floppy, otherwise you can let them grow.

We-are-all-mad-here

Mad Topiary Dreams
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Many thanks for your speedy assistance! I’ve been intimidated by the world of fertilizers for fear of hurting/killing the plants with stupid choices. You make it sound so easy! I’ll pick up something labeled all-purpose. I appreciate your help immensely!

Would you happen to know, I cut off most of the tall single stem Eugenia, like cut it down to a foot in height, would the severed trunk have a chance of rooting if I slather it in honey and pot it? Do only tiny cuttings root?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Topiary is very popular here in the UK. Unfortunately the plants you have chosen are notoriously slow growing, and are usually used for the purpose when they are quite mature. There are other plants that might suit your needs more effectively and certainly quicker.
1618438230434.png
You could use Holly (Ilex), Yew (Taxus baccata), Privet (Ligustrum japonica) or Lonicera nitida.

The thousands of Box cuttings I`ve done at the nursery were all quite small, because there wasn`t any big material to take, and even if there was it would not speed up the growth rate. There have been so many problems here too with Box blight, it isn`t quite as popular as it once was.
I don`t know the plant Eugenia so cannot really comment on it.

Welcome to the forum by the way (y)

We-are-all-mad-here

Mad Topiary Dreams
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow, Twitters, is that your garden? It looks like it belongs at Versailles!

Thank you for chiming in! I’m excited to get advice from someone who grows such spectacular topiary!

I’m not opposed to trying other plants; I planted these experimentally. I was expecting about a 10 year growth window to get to large size topiaries. I also expect anything I plant to grow slowly under the shade of the live oak. Any idea how the ones you suggested handle shade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL: No they are not mine - I don`t have the patience, so no cause for huge excitement !! Quite like the name Twitters - maybe I`ll change it.

Any of my suggestions would be glad of some shade. Your little Box plants seem to be doing well, and should start putting a spurt on now they are more established.

We-are-all-mad-here

Mad Topiary Dreams
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Autocorrect “fixed” your name - sorry about that, didn’t see it!

That’s encouraging about my lil’ boxes! I’d love to see a growth spurt. I’ll have a look for your recommendations when I head to the store for the fertilizer. I think I saw ligustrum, though I don’t recall what sub-type.

Thank you for helping me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The Eugenia is quite fast-growing when fertilized and your Japanese Boxwood doesn't get the blight they have in the UK. Texas Privet is most common variety, grows as fast as Eugenia, slightly faster if well fed.
As for the cuttings, they should be about 6" long and need rooting hormone not honey. If you make them in summer when it's like a greenhouse in your area they are fairly easy.
When it comes to fertilizer the main thing to remember is that "if a little is good a lot is better" is absolutely WRONG. Follow the directions and everything will be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So true regarding too much fertiliser @cpp gardener. We discovered also whilst at the nursery propagating shrubs etc., that rooting compound only had varying results. We were propagating thousands of plants per day, and always kept the rooting compound (bulk) in a refrigerator, collecting very small amounts at a time as it seemed to deteriorate very quickly, and could cause more harm sometimes than good.
I remember experimenting with it actually, and did 500 Spiraea arguta with, and 500 without the hormone - there was absolutely no difference in the final result.

Ask a Question