Flowering dogwood, in a pot?

Reaction score
not permanently, but for a good while.

i was just out looking for a few plants and came across a sale on small flowering dogwoods. i've wanted two for my front yard, but i'm not ready to plant them. the sale seemed good so i got them anyway.

so now i'm wondering if i can find a couple of big pots, even a couple of big cheap garbage cans, to keep them in 'til i'm ready to plant them. how well do y'all think they'd do? this could be at least up to a year to even a couple years. i guess i could have just waited but i'm also thinking if it worked i'd have bigger trees to plant when the time comes. i've seen bigger trees in good sized pots at real nurseries (as opposed to the walmarts or lowes i'm usually in, so i'm hoping it will work ok.

Reaction score
When kept in a pot the dogwood will average less than 10 feet in height, especially if you select a dwarf variety to plant. The tree can thrive in a variety of locations and temperatures.

Reaction score
ok thanks. i guess i'm on the hunt for a couple of big cheap containers then.

assuming the 10' height in a pot is correct, you don't think it would be permanent would it?

i mean, say i had them in pots long enough that they hit this 10' height (they're about 6' now) and stopped growing, do you tink they'd pick up and continue growing to their full height once they were in the ground (advertised as about 20' average) or maybe it would somehow stunt their growth and they'd never grow any taller?

Reaction score
I'm not sure my dogwoods made it through the winter in the pots.

this last winter was so hard a lot of my potted things don't seem to have made it though it. the dogwoods never bloomed or leafed out at all, but one still has greenish small branches at their tips and they're pliable like they're still alive. the other doesn't have as many green shoots.

anyone know what that might mean? for now I don't have any real reason to take them out of the pots so I'm just seeing what happens. like maybe if I water and maintain them anyway though this season maybe they'll come back next spring.

wishful thinking?

Reaction score
well i guess i'm either stupid or hard headed (both, i know), but i did it again.

lowes has started selling off some trees for half price, so this time i got two magnolias. i guess i should really wait 'til i'm ready/able to plant whatever trees i get, but the deal always seems so good i jump. maybe this time i'll bring the trees in the house over the winter if i can, if i don't get them in the ground.

somebody smack me if i do this again next spring.

Ask a Question