Flowering Chrysanthemums and Sleet/Snow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I have outdoor chrysanthemums in a well-draining tub that is too large to move. It is still blooming. It is supposed to sleet and then snow this evening. Am I best to cover them or to let the snow insulate them from the cold?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Vicki. :)

I doubt they would survive the cold and snow. Is it possible for you to create a kind of wigwam/tepee around the pot and plants with some canes and perhaps horticultural fleece if you have any? Failing that, try bubble wrap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Garden Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum x morifolium cultivars) are hardy to -20º F/-29º C, if planted in a well-drained and insulated spot. Now would be a good time to cut down the stems. Enjoy the last flowers in a vase indoors. The snow will insulate the plant from the the cold, but additional insulation helps. It should be something that breathes. I particularly like wood chips for this, but other materials such as twigs, potting soil, pine needles etc will work. remember to take back the mulch in early Spring.

Ask a Question