Flower Colors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What colors of flowers do you prefer to have in your garden? My personal favorites are pinks and purples, but I will pick out any color really as long is it is not orange. Orange is an angry ugly color to me for some strange reason and I just don't like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My favorite color is purple, but I don't see many flowers in purple color! Red, pink, yellow and white flowers are dominant colors in my garden. I have a Black-eyed Susan too, and I don't mind them. Living in Michigan, I only have a very brief time seeing colors, so any color is good for me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't like orange either, Rosyrain:)
My favorite flowers are white. Ever since I remember, I've always had a soft spot for white roses and tulips. They look so clean and elegant!:love:

Reaction score
I prefer white and purple. Almost any color is fine to me, but for some reason I'm not a real fan of pale pinks, specially the way it looks in certain flowers. I've always liked stronger looking colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't like orange either, Rosyrain:)
My favorite flowers are white. Ever since I remember, I've always had a soft spot for white roses and tulips. They look so clean and elegant!:love:
I really like white flowers too because they do look really clean. White is a very happy color for flowers and I have noticed that it is very calming and peaceful too. Perhaps that is why white is a popular wedding color?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really like white flowers too because they do look really clean. White is a very happy color for flowers and I have noticed that it is very calming and peaceful too. Perhaps that is why white is a popular wedding color?
It's very possible! But, to be honest, I wouldn't want to have a traditional wedding dress. I love white flowers, I find them the most beautiful, but I hate wearing white clothes;) They make me look like a ghost, because I have a very pale skin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to second @Rosyrain, any color except orange. I don't know why, orange just doesn't go with the other colors as well. It's brash and harsh.

@IcyBC, for purple flowers, try cleome, even though some are pink and white, purple is the predominate color - plus they reseed themselves. They grow about 4-5 feet tall, but start producing flowers at about 2-3 feet and bloom almost all summer.

Cleome.jpg

Also try Verbena - again they come in different colors, but have some really pretty purples - both dark and light. Some are perennials, some are annuals. They are a lowing growing plant, about 6 inches tall, but they spread to cover about 3-4 feet or more.

verbena.JPG

verbena 2.jpg

And then there's always Clematis. They are a climbing plant with really big blossoms.

clematis.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
I don't really prefer one color over another. What I do like is color. The more different colors, the better. Unfortunately, I live in deer central and the only thing that I can plant that they won't destroy are daisies and marigolds. I would love to have day lilies but the deer like them too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to second @Rosyrain, any color except orange. I don't know why, orange just doesn't go with the other colors as well. It's brash and harsh.

@IcyBC, for purple flowers, try cleome, even though some are pink and white, purple is the predominate color - plus they reseed themselves. They grow about 4-5 feet tall, but start producing flowers at about 2-3 feet and bloom almost all summer.

View attachment 4492
Also try Verbena - again they come in different colors, but have some really pretty purples - both dark and light. Some are perennials, some are annuals. They are a lowing growing plant, about 6 inches tall, but they spread to cover about 3-4 feet or more.

View attachment 4493
View attachment 4494

And then there's always Clematis. They are a climbing plant with really big blossoms.

View attachment 4496

Whoa..weee..This is like winning a super lottery ticket for me! These flowers make me so happy to see this morning. They are gorgeous, and you bet I will look for them as soon as the snow thaw out. I love Cleome you have there, so pretty and colors are also lovely! Thank you for sharing this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

View attachment 4492

View attachment 4493
View attachment 4494

View attachment 4496
I had no idea that verbena looks so gorgeous! Can it be grown indoors? Purple, pink and white flowers like those would look perfect in my living room!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
I love clematis. They come in great colors, including various shades of purple. The deer seem to leave them alone too! I'll have to check out cleomes, I especially like that they reseed themselves. My marigold reseed themselves and I don't even buy or plant any any more. I have so many in my flower bed that it looks like a nursery threw up. My husband hates the wild look but I love having tons of flowers just bursting out of my flower bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love all colors. I'm not particularly picky about flowers. As long as they're pretty and smell nice, that's all that matters haha. White's the only color that I'm not a huge fan of. It's just really bland but mixed in with other colors, does pretty well. I just don't like them too clumped together in a wall of white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I like various colors. When I plant tulips for customers I use both bright colors and pastels.

Ask a Question