Florida seedling...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stole this as a sapling from a treeline in Disney World. It was just another weed/unintended resident in a typical treeline border between a parking lot and a road. It was not like any of the trees or shrubs that I saw. I've had it for 2+ years. The attractive 4" long x 2" wide leaves have nice texture and color, are not as thick or stiff as ficus, and are slightly wavy. Each twig has 3 pairs of leaves with long, straight, thin internodes. It did not respond to leaf size reduction/ramification so it won't be a bonsai subject. It will make a nice looking houseplant. It has thin stems, but doesn't sucker (yet). What am I?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That kind of reminds me of a small tree I dug up from the front of my yard, because it was in deep shade. I now have it in a pot, trying to ID it, so I can determine what to do with it.

I was thinking it may have been a Southern Magnolia, but the leaves are just a little different. I'll try and take a pic and post it here.

BTW, I collect a lot of leaves and such from other yards that leave out bags of yard waste, so maybe that's how I got it....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I employ birds. They bring me stuff and I don't even have to feed them! Of course they don't always plant them where I would prefer...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I employ birds. They bring me stuff and I don't even have to feed them! Of course they don't always plant them where I would prefer...
That's another possibility for me also, since I have tons of birds visiting my yard since going native; I see a new species every year.

Here's the pics of the tree I dug up and put in a container for now until I ID it.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Similar appearance of the leaf, but different arrangement, mine in opposite pairs, yours alternate. Keep looking, it is probably a native because I looked all over in the landscaping and didn't see it. There were wild areas nearby, but I have an aversion to snakes and other monsters hiding in Florida jungles, so I didn't wander into the bush. (They eat chickens, don't they?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would say it is a Mexican Blue Oak, Quercus oblongifolia, that is being grown out of its native element. At Disney you never know where the trees come from. Once they are moved to a different climate they can modify their characteristics thru adaptation. The shiny leaves are not seen in their original habitat but might be a modification resulting from your climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say it is a Mexican Blue Oak, Quercus oblongifolia, that is being grown out of its native element. At Disney you never know where the trees come from. Once they are moved to a different climate they can modify their characteristics thru adaptation. The shiny leaves are not seen in their original habitat but might be a modification resulting from your climate.
Looks like RoadRunner's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's another possibility for me also, since I have tons of birds visiting my yard since going native; I see a new species every year.

Here's the pics of the tree I dug up and put in a container for now until I ID it.

View attachment 49185View attachment 49186

When I took the pics above I forgot to take a pic of another plant next to it that I found late in 2018 after chopping down a lot of summer growth, that looks about the same as the above, but with smaller and less shinny leaves.

Hopefully it will produce flowers soon, so I can ID it.

It looks kind of rough now, but I think that's because it didn't like the cold, but hopefully it starts growing fast now that it's warming up...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is thicker with no puffiness inbetween veins. The first one may be more like it, but I think I won't be able to ID until it flowers. (like you):)

Ask a Question