Flopping Aloe vera leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have had our beautiful aloe vera for around it for around 3 years. It has grown around 4 times its original size in this time and we have repotted to accommodate its size each time, using soil specific to succulents (as advised by the garden centre). It has always thrived but for the last couple of months the leaves around the bottom of the plant are sagging and no longer full of gel/water as they were initially. However, as you can see, new leaves have grown up through the middle and are healthy and rigid. We have moved house in the last 6 weeks and the issue seems to be getting worse.

In our previous flat, it was on a large windowsill in front of our balcony door, which received bright light all day and the temperature was consistently warm. We have tried to find a similar spot in our new house. Again, it is in a bright window all day but we are wondering if it doesn't like the temperature. It is quite an old house so not as well insulated as our previous flat. Could this be the reason?

We are keen gardeners and love our plants but not experts! We would appreciate any advice and are willing to give anything a try!

Best wishes

Adrien and Deana

Attachments

• File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 74
  • File_000 (1).jpeg
    File_000 (1).jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think that they are simply the oldest leaves that have been moved around and have lost their structural rigidity. It's pretty normal since they don't have woody tissue in them. As long as the temperature is above freezing it won't hurt it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear it isn't dying. What would you advise doing? Should we leave these leaves or perhaps remove them? Is there any way they will regain their rigidity?

Thanks
A and D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That just happens with aloe vera plants. Sometimes because of stress, repotting, moving, age and weight, or a missed watering. Have never paid it much mind. If concerned about chill or lack of warmth a plant heating pad for starts has been my go to. I use one whenever I am concerned about a plants environment. If the soil is warm the roots therefore plants always seem happy ..... even when the house temperatures dip.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

We have had our beautiful aloe vera for around it for around 3 years. It has grown around 4 times its original size in this time and we have repotted to accommodate its size each time, using soil specific to succulents (as advised by the garden centre). It has always thrived but for the last couple of months the leaves around the bottom of the plant are sagging and no longer full of gel/water as they were initially. However, as you can see, new leaves have grown up through the middle and are healthy and rigid. We have moved house in the last 6 weeks and the issue seems to be getting worse.

In our previous flat, it was on a large windowsill in front of our balcony door, which received bright light all day and the temperature was consistently warm. We have tried to find a similar spot in our new house. Again, it is in a bright window all day but we are wondering if it doesn't like the temperature. It is quite an old house so not as well insulated as our previous flat. Could this be the reason?

We are keen gardeners and love our plants link but not experts! We would appreciate any advice and are willing to give anything a try!

Best wishes

Adrien and Deana
I get visitors who do not know a lot about succulents. They point to a plant and ask what's that. An Aloe I reply. Oh, I have to get one of those, I have lots of skin problems. My first question: I have been told that only Aloe Vera ( I do not have one) has medicinal properties and not all Aloes. True? 2nd question: Given the poor conditions that they would probably give their Aloe, I would assume that production on a regular basis is not possible. True? 3rd question: Wiki says there is no proof that Aloe Vera does any good, makes a difference. Thoughts on that? Gene

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, it’s true that Aloe Vera is the most common species with potential medicinal qualities. There are others but they are much less common.
If they have a very bright, like full sun, location it is possible to have regular production as long as the plant is big enough.
Many people swear by it and it isn’t toxic so the choice is yours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When the leaves start to flop that means the plant is over or under-watered. Give your plants strong filtered light but not direct light. Gently tip the plant out of the pot and get a look at the roots and see if it is over or under-watered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cut them off and use the gel for bug bites or cuts or a face mask! If no use for it right away, freeze it :)
I have a big older aloe Vera and I cut the lower leaves and use them as needed.

Ask a Question