First post...help with plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm not sure what type of plants these are as they were planted when I moved into my home a few months ago. I live in Georgia and the soil is a lot of clay as well. For some reason the plants have very few leaves and the leaves that are there are yellowish. What can I do to revive these plants? And if I find out what they are I would like to know what they are supposed to look like.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can't identify your plants for you, but I can tell you they need a dose of nitrogen. If you can find a high-nitrogen ferilizer (10-5-5 for chemical, Milorganite or fish meal for organic) and give them the recommended dosage, it sure won't hurt!
I'm sure some of the other gardeners here can help identify your plants and give you advice on helping them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do they look like gardenias maybe? So I'm going to lowes tomorrow. What exactly should I look for? I'm kinda new to this stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you can, instead of going to Lowes, go to a local mom and pop nursery and take along a sample of your plant. They can tell you what it is and what is wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can, instead of going to Lowes, go to a local mom and pop nursery and take along a sample of your plant. They can tell you what it is and what is wrong.

Great. I'll do that. I actually am going to pick up some knock out roses today so I will take a sample. Great idea. Thanks

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking forward to your after picture to go with your above before picture. Don't forget to water the plant deeply.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Put the sample plant in a sealed plastic bag--if there is a disease you don't want to spread it around a nursery!
Glad Chuck mentioned adding iron (Ironite). There was something else I wanted to suggest, but I couldn't think of it--he did!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So turns out it is a gardenia. I bought a slow release fertilier. It was 19 nitrogen so hopefully this will help some.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get some chelated iron. What you probably got was 19-5-9

I sprinkled out about a tbls and a half on each plant. Was that enough? Can I also had some chelates iron to them as well on top of the slow release capsules?

Ask a Question