First lemon in 3 years!

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought my 3 citrus trees from the Lowe’s over 3 years ago. They have survived the scorching Arizona heat and a toddler that wants to throw rocks at them and rip their leaves off. I finally got my first lemon that appears to be actually growing. Just need a few more and I’ll have enough for some lemonade.

March 2019
1646416325859.jpeg

March 2022
1646416464730.jpeg

1646416493234.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck with that. Your patience is paying off. Is that growth rate typical for Phoenix? I can see they get enough sun, but what are their irrigation and fertilization schedules? Also, is the alkalinity of the native Casa Grande soil an issue?

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good luck with that. Your patience is paying off. Is that growth rate typical for Phoenix? I can see they get enough sun, but what are their irrigation and fertilization schedules? Also, is the alkalinity of the native Casa Grande soil an issue?
I don’t know anyone that has grown citrus from that young of a tree, as most everyone that wants citrus has established trees.

Alkalinity is a huge issue here, and we also have large Ca2+ deposits called caliche that you would essentially need a jackhammer to get through.

I water each tree ~1x/month from ~November-February, 1x/week March-may, and 2x/week june-October. I use approximately 10 gallons of water/tree/watering day.

I admittedly fertilize less frequently than I should, although, I only use fertilizers when it is under 90 degrees F here. This kinda limits applications to the late fall/“winter”/early spring. I use a 10-10-10 citrus specific fertilizer that is organic and locally made (I’m still waiting for Chuck to write a book). I don’t really measure it precisely, but about 1#/application and I usually do it 2-3x/year.

I don’t know trees that well, but I have always wanted citrus trees.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, It's interesting to learn what it takes to grow Citrus in Arizona. Overall, your trees look healthy, and their growth rate is likely what would be expected. I read that commercial Citrus orchards use 4 to 5 acre-feet per acre per year.

Ask a Question