First hummingbird of the year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We usually have hummingbirds earlier than this, but this year/winter has been strange, to say the least. We were so happy to see our first hummingbird--a Rubythroat--feeding at the snapdragons on the patio.
I brewed up some hummer nectar and filled the feeders hoping the first hummingbird would be the harbinger of more to come!
Hummer 6.jpg
This photo was taken last year, as a hummingbird perched on the shepherd's hook we hang a feeder from.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Really cool. We had our first Orioles flitting around in the back yard about a week ago, I liked it because it was a male and a female. My wife filled up the Oriole feeder with jelly, Oriole love jelly. The orioles here nest in palm trees. I think humming birds (Anna's typically I think) are year round here. They do seem to lay lower in the winter.

Every spring look forward the Orioles returning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So gorgeous! I love hummingbird but never was able to take a decent photo of it. The first one I ever see in real life was in California at my sister's house and I tried for days to take one picture without any success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That settles it! Next year I am adding red snap dragons to my butterfly and hummingbird garden plants! I kept eyeing some velvety looking dark red ones at work, but I had other priorities and they soon sold out. At least now I will have time to read up on the growing conditions for snaps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just looked at the 2015 Rubythroat migration map, appears it will be a while still we see them here In Connecticut, kind of later then usual I believe.

Reaction score
Majestic little bird, the quality of the picture isn't the best, but the fact you could capture the entire hummingbird makes it up for that and then some! Amazing! You must be one of the very few people out there who has been able to take a picture of a resting hummingbird. I'd really like to know how you did it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hummingbirds are very beautiful. I see them all the time but have never been lucky enough to take pictures of them. They are too quick and a very "bashful" bird.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Trellium, we got that photo by having the camera with us, heading toward the pond to get a picture of resting turtles, and the hummer came in, perched on the hook, and stared at us. My husband (quick reflexes) snapped about 10 photos before it took off, and this was the best of them. We were about 8 feet away, as I remember.
Everbrown, we are having the hummingbirds arrive later than usual here in central Texas, also. The migration patterns and times are pretty messed up by the winter we just experienced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's excellent news mg! (y)
Means they crossed the border, and are on their way up the pipe.
Saw the first Osprey of the year on March 31st hanging out on his
nest, which tells me I have about two weeks to go before putting out my
hummer feeders. Hmmm I think I might have one or two pics of some
hummers to go with this thread. :whistle: Will post tomorrow morning. :)

Ask a Question