Fine Gardening rates

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone I’m new to this forum. I have been working as a professional fine gardener for several years. I’m planning on starting my own small gardening business so that I can create my own schedule and have more creativity with my work. I’m wondering if anyone has any information about what rates most fine gardeners charge? Especially hourly rates for things such as spring cleanups, planting, garden maintenance, pruning ect. If anyone has any advice on how to price my services I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! Ps who’s ready for spring?!

Attachments

• 8E87B293-0461-4D3E-825E-C53B3896C787.jpeg
    8E87B293-0461-4D3E-825E-C53B3896C787.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Discretely find out what the competition charges in your local market and then charge at least a little bit more. Of course you will offer higher quality to justify this. Since you are just yourself, there is no point trying to compete with with mass-market mow n' blow maintenance, installation and slapdash design. You will do best to cultivate ongoing personal relationships with garden owners of exacting standards willing to pay for quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This will sound absurd.

Go to several fast food places and buy a nice lunch. Not the kiddie meal or the monster. This average probably represents 30 minutes of working wages in your area and 1 hour for the least paid persons capable of buying a lunch. It is important to know because services are valued via a cost of sales approach, and you need to tack on at least 30 percent to whatever it costs you in labor, materials, tools, transport etc in total. Don't make the mistake of thinking you have one job, you have 2. One is the worker, one is the owner. The workers costs must always be included. If the owner can make a profit it is a separate cash flow.

Ask a Question