Fine Freesias

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Freesias are perennial bulbs that flower during the summer. This flower is available in blue, pink, red, white, yellow, cream, lavender, and orange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone gave me a small pot of Freesia laxa 'Joan Evans' many years ago. Now it has reseeded abundantly in several spots. I 'm so glad. It's wonderful to have a volunteer with such grace and beauty. This species is native to eastern Africa, from Kenya to the Eastern Cape, and was formerly known as Anomatheca laxa.
081c6f.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Someone gave me a small pot of Freesia laxa 'Joan Evans' many years ago. Now it has reseeded abundantly in several spots. I 'm so glad. It's wonderful to have a volunteer with such grace and beauty. This species is native to eastern Africa, from Kenya to the Eastern Cape, and was formerly known as Anomatheca laxa.
081c6f.jpg
@Marck, Why was the name of the Freesia changed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Freesia laxa is now included in Freesia because both morphological and molecular DNA evidence suggests it to be included within that genus. The genus Anomatheca is now considered a synonym. All species that were once included within it have been moved to other genera. In the past, there were many different criteria for placing plants in particular taxa, but now the criterion that is given most credence is evolutionary descent. Taxonomist attempt to define monophyletic species groups. Monophyletic means a taxon contains all the descendents of a common ancestor and only those descendants. Even with all of the additional data available today, it can still be a judgement calal. There are many statisitcal tests performed on the data analyses to judge how likely it reflects actual evolution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Freesia bulbs should be planted in at least groups of three in high-quality composted soil.

Ask a Question