Finally, time for a bit of rest!

Reaction score
I've been wearing myself out every day in the garden (doesn't take much for me I have MS) and have finally gotten over the hump, I think.

The only weeds are the ones that grew over the night. The peas are almost ready to pick, the first strawberries are starting to turn red.

I was getting ready to go out to the garden today and thought, It's time for a rest! The days of waiting, itching to get out in the garden are long past. Just this one day, I'm relaxing and reading a book. The weeds that grew over night can be picked tomorrow morning with tonight's new crop of weeds.

Reaction score
i keep INTENDING to read outside, but the word will not slow down well enough! This week it took 4 visits to the dog pound to be allowed to adopt a dog for my son - he ended up with a large black one with white feet- and tomorrow a friend of my husband is coming over with a long handled saw so we can remove some dead branches, tomorrow night it is going to rain AGAIN, tomorrow is Father's day and DH wants to go to the movies, and I need to arrange for obedience lessons for the new dog and she tried to take a bite out of the old dog, which should have been just a dominance move excepting it was more like an all out attack and if she tries that with our cat she will kill him.,

This is a friendly dog but with her lack of restraint she will hurt either a pet or a person unless she realizes FAST that she is not top dog. So I need to reinforce that fast so she accepts that she simply is not alpha of the house. So she cools her jets and stops trying to push others around. For the moment she is either on a leash or in a crate: we do not dare let her loose even inside because it would be to hard to snatch her back if she tries to bite another pet.

I have a reading spot chosen on the back deck, a large plastic chair to use, and a stack of reading material waiting for me. Perhaps NEXT week I can read outside!

Reaction score
i keep INTENDING to read outside, but the word will not slow down well enough! This week it took 4 visits to the dog pound to be allowed to adopt a dog for my son - he ended up with a large black one with white feet- and tomorrow a friend of my husband is coming over with a long handled saw so we can remove some dead branches, tomorrow night it is going to rain AGAIN, tomorrow is Father's day and DH wants to go to the movies, and I need to arrange for obedience lessons for the new dog and she tried to take a bite out of the old dog, which should have been just a dominance move excepting it was more like an all out attack and if she tries that with our cat she will kill him.,

This is a friendly dog but with her lack of restraint she will hurt either a pet or a person unless she realizes FAST that she is not top dog. So I need to reinforce that fast so she accepts that she simply is not alpha of the house. So she cools her jets and stops trying to push others around. For the moment she is either on a leash or in a crate: we do not dare let her loose even inside because it would be to hard to snatch her back if she tries to bite another pet.

I have a reading spot chosen on the back deck, a large plastic chair to use, and a stack of reading material waiting for me. Perhaps NEXT week I can read outside!
It's great that you rescued a shelter dog. So many dogs never find a home. I hope she learns to get along with the other pets so that she can roam around freely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm pretty busy during the week, so weekends are the only time when I can spend a whole day in my garden:) Today, instead of resting, I transplanted two of my roses, I fertilized them all and I washed their leaves. It was fun:) Taking care of my plants always relaxes me.

Reaction score
Me too, Claudine, but I wear out so fast.

I ended up taking today off, too, so I'm sure I will be faced with a ton of weeds tomorrow. I thought I was being bold taking one day off and it turned into two. NOT GOOD. I hate when the garden gets out of hand. No more days off for me, but I guess that was part of what prompted me to take even that first day off. Things are growing fast, spring crops will be harvested over the next week and the rest of the summer crops need to be planted.

It will be nonstop weeding, watering, planting, harvesting and canning for the next 4 months. Then I'll get another day off.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Getting the plot sorted out slowly, bit late for most things this year but at least i'm getting on top of the snail problem.

Finding it a bit hard after the day job though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Me too, Claudine, but I wear out so fast.

I ended up taking today off, too, so I'm sure I will be faced with a ton of weeds tomorrow. I thought I was being bold taking one day off and it turned into two. NOT GOOD. I hate when the garden gets out of hand. No more days off for me, but I guess that was part of what prompted me to take even that first day off. Things are growing fast, spring crops will be harvested over the next week and the rest of the summer crops need to be planted.

It will be nonstop weeding, watering, planting, harvesting and canning for the next 4 months. Then I'll get another day off.
This sounds exhausting! If I were you, I'd take a day off too:)
Personally, I like messy, wild gardens, so I let weeds grow wherever they want to;) I water my plants and I prune them sometimes, it's not a hard work at all, so I don't need any rest.

Reaction score
It's great that you rescued a shelter dog. So many dogs never find a home. I hope she learns to get along with the other pets so that she can roam around freely.
After the first explosion with my other dog, she is doing well. She is housebroken and is showing good manners. She is now off of the leash as long as somebody is around: if we have to leave she still is put in her crate.

She was picked up as a stray: I do not know why nobody claimed this dog! She is 5 years old, lovely, and well mannered!

Claudine, I ALSO like messy wild gardens but the city I live in does not. We are expected to keep our lawns mowed or we get a nasty little note from the city telling us to mow our lawns or they will, and send us the bill! For that reason when I grow wildflowers I put them into the vegetable garden, so that there are no misunderstandings. I did not get my wildflowers planted this year but I have 2 volenteers in the onion bed so I have them anyways!

It is late to plant wildfowers, but I have the packet of seed already so maybe they will go in next week

Last edited:

Ask a Question