Filling raised beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
Looking for some advise.

I have 2 Raised beds 1 @ 1m 1m x 700m high so & the other 4m long x 500mm x 700mm high, both have false bottoms, made from deck boards/sarking and both have an available soil depth of around 400mm

My wife is looking to put a couple of small bushes into the smaller bed as well as primroses and a load of bulbs, and plants like Fushie, busy lizzie and Begonias in the larger one but I have no idea what is best when it comes to soil.

I have bags of top soil, Gp Compost and a some bags of ericaceous, I know this is no where near enough but would this be a good mix for the smaller bed.

Also should I add in rotten logs in the base, seen some videos where this is recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why the False bottom? It will rot, and if it is treated timber may harm the plants, Have a look at what Susan BBPM did in Ayrshire
She is finding the soil underneath is gradually improving too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PS The logs are an excellent idea, just so long as they are not evergreens, some of them can restrict growth. They help with drainage and also keep things moist in the summer. After our drought last summer I am incorporating as much wood as I can, laybys are a good source here in Sussex. I dig out a bit of decent soil, put the wood in the hole on the underlying clay, and then put the soil back on top mixed with compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The logs get a little faster when cut to stand upright as the vascular system wets better from the top when vertical. Lots of cutting though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replys guys.
These beds are sitting on top of a concrete area and the false raised bed is to reduce the amount of compost required, this is very easily removed as it looks as though it has only been placed onto a support beam (the supports are old deck boards, so treated and perhaps previously painted) would removing this and adding logs, leaves etc. to the base be a better idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replys guys.
These beds are sitting on top of a concrete area and the false raised bed is to reduce the amount of compost required, this is very easily removed as it looks as though it has only been placed onto a support beam (the supports are old deck boards, so treated and perhaps previously painted) would removing this and adding logs, leaves etc. to the base be a better idea
Sounds like it would. My only provisio is that concrete can be very cold, people sleeping rough put a good layer of several thicknesses of cardboard or newspaper down, no reason why you shouldn't do the same. Nowadays it may contain recycled plastic so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in the garden, but for an artificial flower bed, so what? It is almost like adding wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that

So should I look to be putting composting material (cardboard logs leaves etc.) on the base, then fill with compost or can I add Top soil before the compost layer?

Ask a Question