Fill a bag.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For years I've struggled to fill plastic bin bags; recently I also wanted to fill many rubble bags with horse manure; I needed three hands but only have two. Whilst browsing YouTube looking at composting I spotted a great method so I take no credit for it but am happy to pass it on.

Take something like an old plastic bucket; remove the handle and cut away the complete bottom; I used my jigsaw for this; smooth the cut edge using a file or abrasive paper to make it user friendly.

Open a plastic bag and place the bag on the ground; insert the modified bucket wide opening down centrally in the base of the bag then simply load the open bucket; when the bucket fills withdraw the bucket sufficiently to deposit its contents in the bag by lifting the bucket and bringing the open end of the bag with it; keep doing this until the bag is filled then remove the bucket and tie the bag.

I tried this out for the first time yesterday loading shredded material into plastic bags and although there was a bit of spillage it worked a treat; a larger diameter container with its bottom cut away would have been better because of the size of the shredder drawer; I scooped out half the drawer contents between my hands then managed to pour the remainder but on the whole it made filling the bag a great deal easier.

I hope this is of use; the pictures show the set up and already the squirrels are being inquisitive as to the bag contents. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00026.JPG
DSC00023.JPG
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00025.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ah, I have an old plastic bucket (3 gal.) used for water collection that started to leak. Being something of a tightwad, I saved it. Now I know why! This is going to be so handy to sieve compost or to get mulch into bags.
Thank heavens for inventive minds who help the rest of us!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Deborahjane; whoever designed the human body slipped up by only giving us two hands. ;)

Nothing wrong at all in being tight marlingardener. (y) I believe the bucket I used is also 3 gallon and an handy size for this application although anything similar could be used such as a deep rectangular plastic container with the bottom removed; anything which will fit into the bag; an old pedal or swing bin plastic insert?

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/horse-manure.12690/page-2

A short while ago I collected 20 bags of well rotted horse manure and filling the builders aggregate bags using a builders shovel was highly frustrating and the story is covered in the link above; at the time I came up with the idea of using a tall narrow plastic container; fill the container then place the bag over the top and invert the container to deposit the contents in the bag but then whilst browsing a composting video I noticed this better method being used which I've now adopted.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/builders-bucket-black-3-gallon-14ltr/64253#_=p

Here in the UK we can buy a new 3 gallon builders bucket for only £1.29 as seen above. Like marlingardener I used an old well used bucket costing nothing. (y)

Out of interest and absolutely nothing to do with gardening but I needed three hands when I started restoring vintage radios. On these vintage radios many components need replacing these being mostly capacitors and resistors; these are soldered in and as many as five or six can be soldered to one connection; one hand to hold the soldering iron; one hand to hold the solder and one hand to hold the component; I designed and made a miniature coil winder as seen in the pictures below; now I could wind a tiny coil onto the end of each wire; the old component was then snipped out but leaving a 1/4" tail; this tail was scraped clean then the new component slipped onto the tail allowing both hands to do the soldering. I've made over a dozen of these winders as gifts and many more are in use after I added a thread on vintage radio forums and also had the design and method published. I'm not smart in any way but as an apprentice I was taught the old fashioned way to use my head and my hands so I can easily design and make anything I need. If there is a problem there will be at least one solution with a bit of thought. The large capacitor in the bottom picture was also another interesting project with me ending up making 1,000 of them in various capacitance values. I love solving such problems. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Miniature coil winder (1).jpg
Miniature coil winder (2).jpg
Miniature coil winder (3).JPG

Ask a Question