Fig tree leaves turning white

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hello,

I wonder why the leaves are losing color, could it be due to some nutrient deficiency? and what kind of nutrient, exactly?
I would be grateful if someone could help.
Def-.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tree is losing its ability to make chlorophyll, either because magnesium has been tied up by too much nitrogen or potassium or there is just a deficiency of magnesium in your soil.

Reaction score
Country
Your tree is losing its ability to make chlorophyll, either because magnesium has been tied up by too much nitrogen or potassium or there is just a deficiency of magnesium in your soil.

Thank you very much.
I should most probably stop using NPK fertilizer, and start adding MgSO4 then, am I right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you very much.
I should most probably stop using NPK fertilizer, and start adding MgSO4 then, am I right?
Figs don't need much fertilizer to begin with. If you are using a high number NPK I would stop using altogether until the tree has regained its health and then I would only use low amounts of NPK. I suppose using something like epsom salts would do as good as anything.

Reaction score
Country
Figs don't need much fertilizer to begin with. If you are using a high number NPK I would stop using altogether until the tree has regained its health and then I would only use low amounts of NPK. I suppose using something like epsom salts would do as good as anything.

You are right, In fact, the tree was doing fine until I saw symptoms of the mosaic virus, and started fertilizing it to help recover. Looks like I overdid it :(

The tree is fine now except for these two whitish leaves I found today. I really hope they will not increase.

By the way, given that I last applied the NPK 4-5 days ago, is it okay to start Epsom salt right away?
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are right, In fact, the tree was doing fine until I saw symptoms of the mosaic virus, and started fertilizing it to help recover. Looks like I overdid it :(

The tree is fine now except for these two whitish leaves I found today. I really hope they will not increase.

By the way, given that I last applied the NPK 4-5 days ago, is it okay to start Epsom salt right away?
Thanks again.
Depending on what you fertilized the tree with it may be better to try to flush the fertilizer out of the soil before applying the ES. If you used a synthetic fertilizer you should be able to.

Reaction score
Country
Depending on what you fertilized the tree with it may be better to try to flush the fertilizer out of the soil before applying the ES. If you used a synthetic fertilizer you should be able to.

I had used a combination of NPK(20-20-20)+captan+hiomic acid.
Very well then, I guess watering heavily in 2-3 days should be able to wash away a great deal of fertilizer. I will apply the Epsom salt afterward.
Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Ask a Question