Fig Fruit splitting before ripening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Folks,

A couple of questions about my fig fruit.

1. Some of my Brown Turkey Fig fruit is splitting from the bottom before ripening all the way.
What do I need to do ?

2. How can I protect the fruit while allowing it to ripen fully on the tree ? They ripen very fast and if I leave them like one night longer than I should, critters come in and eat the fruit. I'm having to pick the fruit before its fully ripe and let it ripen fully off the tree. This leaves more of the pithy white on the inside that it should although the fruit inside is intensely flavorful, moist and sweet.

Thanks,
Norm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't tell. I think there is more than one kind. One ate the fruit from inside clean, leaving the pretty much skin of half of the fruit hanging on the tree. Another bit into it from outside and ate up a good part skin and all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't tell. I think there is more than one kind. One ate the fruit from inside clean, leaving the pretty much skin of half of the fruit hanging on the tree. Another bit into it from outside and ate up a good part skin and all.
Birds love figs but if it happens at night it could be a coon but probably a possum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So...how do i protect my precious figs ? Its a small tree, could I net it from birds ? Would that keep the coon/possums away ?

Since they left the skin hanging from its delicate neck, I would think one of them could be ants or something real small.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So...how do i protect my precious figs ? Its a small tree, could I net it from birds ? Would that keep the coon/possums away ?

Since they left the skin hanging from its delicate neck, I would think one of them could be ants or something real small.
All netting does is protect from birds. It really looks like bird damage to me. coons and possums are extremely hard to protect against.

Ask a Question