Fiddle Leaf Fig: Where to cut a branch?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I have had this fig for about 5-6 years. For the first 2 years of its life, I was underwatering it so allot of the bottom leaves fell off and it was very bare. Since then it's been doing great and pushing out new growth all year but growing into a big Y shape. Recently, I started notching trying to make new growth. I stuck to doing this on the thicker more sparse side for 1.5 months doing it every 2 weeks about 2-6 cuts each time. I did not notice any change so I started doing it on the other side. Sadly I cut in too deep and the next day the branch broke off. Since then I did a clean-cut and propagated that branch into 3 parts with 2-3 leaves on each branch. Now the tree is very lopsided and I need to cut it back.

Should I cut it back so it's even with the other side or leave some leaves? The good news is the notching worked and I have a new small bud on the branch that is left.

Please see images I'm thinking about cut 1 or cut 2 I think 1 might be better long term but don't want to shock the plant too much. Not sure if it's better to do this now or wait. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Attachments

• Broken Branch RIP.jpg
    Broken Branch RIP.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Clean cut on broken branch.jpg
    Clean cut on broken branch.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Need Advice. where to cut.jpg
    Need Advice. where to cut.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 597
  • New bud.jpg
    New bud.jpg