Fescue in Red Clay, NC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! We bought a house recently and this is a photo of a large area where no grass is growing. I have no idea if it’s possible to get grass growing there and what that would entail.

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach getting grass to grow? We’re in NC

Attachments

• 6713D0C2-6032-4894-ACA2-5F6A47E7257E.jpeg
    6713D0C2-6032-4894-ACA2-5F6A47E7257E.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There is a grass called bahia that would survive the drought conditions that solar exposure will get. I noticed the angle of shadow and I bet it just cooks at that angle to the sun. That clay can be alkaline, so a PH test first to tell if you need sulphur instead of lime. An easy way to install it is the way that grass seed is sprayed for roadsides. It is called hydro seeding. Without terracing the wash will continue to destroy and gulley the earth of course. That pond is catching a lot of runoff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely look into Bahia and Hydroseeding, that seems like a great idea. I'll also get a landscaper out to give me a quote for terracing, it's definitely unsightly now so I want to find a fix for it ASAP and have a nicer, cleaner pond. Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question