Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Okay group I need some suggestions for fern substitutes for:
1) mostly sun
2) zone 9
3)between 18" and 3'
I have Woodwardia that is struggling and I need something more sun tolerant. Show me what you got!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry cpp I don't know what to suggest if you are looking for something similar. I have various ferns growing wild in the area where I live including one or two in my garden. They prefer a cool, damp atmosphere so if you can provide them with a shaded area next to water, pond or stream for example, then they will be more likely to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I know what they REALLY like but I can't change the environment, just the plants. I have thought that something like Nandina 'Wood's Dwarf' might work and I was hoping to get a couple more ideas.
Thanks for any other ideas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I'm looking for something along that line. We've sort of settled on Nandina and Moonshine yarrow, but other suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Here are two that have come to mind. This particular Mahonia has a fern like appearance.

Spiraea is a consideration too.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many true ferns that are more tolerant of heat and relative dryness than Woodwardia, which I find grows best in bog conditions. Instead, give the Australian Brake Fern (Pteris tremula) a try. It is a large, attractive fern that does exceptionally well in California's climate. I grow it best in half-day sun with only average garden water.

Last edited:

Ask a Question