Fern Leaf Peony Struggles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, friends. This is my first time posting. I am new to gardening and have had some troubles as a beginner.

I planted this fern leaf Peony about 5-6 weeks ago and it looked good for a few weeks until it suddenly began to change. It started developing a brown color on the stem and just within the last week, all of the leaves have started to shrivel and turn brown as well. I was hoping that someone with knowledge of this plant or this issue would be able to help me resolve it. I have done several Google searches, none in which have helped me a whole lot. I am just hoping that it isn't dying. They are expensive plants and I don't want to see it suffer.

This particular plant is special to me as I just lost my cat back in March. Her name was Fern. I planted it as a memorial for her.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.
IMG_20200710_184402135.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There is something very wrong with this plant's irrigation and drainage. Your best hope for saving it is to immediately dig it up and repot it in rich, well-draining potting soils. Set the soil level to the same point it was when you got the plant. Place this repotted plant in part shade with morning sun and observe it every day. Keep the soil moist but well-drained . Only irrigate when the surface begins to look dry. Good luck with this, I hope your plant recovers.

The Fern-leaf peony (Paeonia tenuifolia) is a beautiful, red-flowered peony with distinctive, finely-cut foliage. it is native to southeastern Europe, the Caucasus, and parts of central Asia.

Ask a Question