Feather Reed

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I planted 8 Karl feather reed plants in my south back yard. They were about 18” tall, nice and green. Full sun where they are planted.
I’ve been watering them everyday, seemed fine. We’ve had 2 straight days of rain so far and when I looked back at them, they are ALL getting yellow on the bottom- are they dying? Too much water? There is another rain day tomorrow, then it clears up for the next couple weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums

Yes, from the OP description of both irrigation and precipitation, these grass plants are being watered excessively. Hopefuly, the plant was planted in a well-drained situation that will allow it to survive rainy weather during establishment. There is certainly no need to add additional irrigation, unless conditions become much drier.

Karl Foerster Reed-grass (Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster') is a popular, upright-growing cultivar of the natural hybrid, Feather Reed-grass (Calamagrostis x acutiflora). The parent species of this hybrid are Calamagrostis arundinacea and Calamagrostis epigejos, two widespread species of Reed-grass that occur throughout Eurasia and Japan. The range of Calamagrostis arundinacea also extends to Taiwan, the Philippines and New Guinea, while the range of C. epigejos reaches the highlands of eastern Africa.

Ask a Question