'False Gloxinia' Sinningia speciosa – leaf sickness – remedy?

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Hello All,

I what i think are a few sinningia speciosa, sometimes called false gloxinia. Mine produce super, big, variegated pink-purple and white flowers if kept well watered and in bright light but not direct sunlight.
glox001.jpg

Just recently, the last couple of weeks, I've seen a kind of spotting on the leaves. It's spreading. I'm worried. Any ideas?

glox002.jpg

Thanks!

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thank you for asking!

No – no smudging of the spots on the leaves and nothing comes off on my fingers. I also notice that the spotting is on the upper surfaces of the leaves only. I inspected undersdes clearly and they are unblemished. I'm pretty sure that this condition is not an infestation of any kind of mite or aphid or similar. I've looked with a magnifying glass and there's nothing there apart from that light spotty discoloration that you see in the photo.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thank you for asking!

No – no smudging of the spots on the leaves and nothing comes off on my fingers. I also notice that the spotting is on the upper surfaces of the leaves only. I inspected undersdes clearly and they are unblemished. I'm pretty sure that this condition is not an infestation of any kind of mite or aphid or similar. I've looked with a magnifying glass and there's nothing there apart from that light spotty discoloration that you see in the photo.

Thanks again!
Could it be some kind of leaf burn from spraying or maybe just hard water residue?

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't think so, because i don't spray. I water the roots. And it doesn't appear on the new growth, only the older leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hello All,

I what i think are a few sinningia speciosa, sometimes called false gloxinia. Mine produce super, big, variegated pink-purple and white flowers if kept well watered and in bright light but not direct sunlight.
glox001.jpg

Just recently, the last couple of weeks, I've seen a kind of spotting on the leaves. It's spreading. I'm worried. Any ideas?

glox002.jpg

Attachments

• 20180720_103454.jpg
    20180720_103454.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hello All,

glox001.jpg

glox002.jpg

Thanks!

I also have the same problem. It slowly stop the growth, leaves slowly turn yellow and kill food supply. Attack all my gloxinia. My red died after combatting 2 months when it first full bloom with 7 roses and gets thinner and thinner.
My others 3 gloxinia dying even after repot.
My african violets too.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also have the same problem. It slowly stop the growth, leaves slowly turn yellow and kill food supply. Attack all my gloxinia. My red died after combatting 2 months when it first full bloom with 7 roses and gets thinner and thinner.
My others 3 gloxinia dying even after repot.
My african violets too.

I now have the same problem on my Majesty Palm – at least it looks very similar: at first small brown spots appear on the leaves. They gradually enlarge and spread until the whole leaf dies.

In the case of the Majesty palms the spread has been quicker, and it has attacked the whole plant very quickly, including leaves that have not yet opened from the main spathe.

Again no bugs visible.

And it is not the characteristic yellowing of leaves that is a signal, with Majesty Palms, of overwatering. At no time did the leaves turn yellow.

Photo attached:

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

See Meng, Chuck –

I'm pleased to say I have an update and it's a happy one. The problem, whatever it was, has stopped. I made a habit of removing the affected leaves and for a while, new growth appeared with the same brown spotting. However, about two weeks ago, new leaves started to appear clear, and they have continued clear (see attached photo) – so whatever it was lasted about six weeks, in growing season July-Aug. The plant also failed to flower during that time, but that may not be relevant – it usually flowers once every 2-4 months then 'rests', anyway.

I am now wondering whether the problem was under-watering.

See Meng – have your plants recovered too?

Best wishes,

20180904-19495522-01-0-AWM-iPhone5.JPG

Ask a Question