Fallen tree reeks havoc....Will my wysteria survive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Heavy wind and rain and down came this tree next to the garage taking with it a fence, gate, verandah yesterday morning . Not sure how much damage is done to the fruit trees until tomorrow where tree fellas are coming ( there's only 2 of them though....ha ha). But the pole with the metal spikes my son made especially for the wysteria on the corner of the garage is down and. I guess I'll see tomorrow if the base is ok. They are hardy, right?
rps20190810_052058.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Wisteria are very bendy, it'll probably be fine. If the main stem is broken, it'll send out new shoots.

One of mine was trained up an eight foot old tree stump.

30.JPG

Over time the base of the stump rotted, so last December, I uncurled the wisteria laid it on the ground and rocked out the stump,

P1010997.JPG

I filled in the big hole with soil, put in a tall redundant bird feeder tower and curled the wisteria back round it again. It was none the worse for its experience.

P1010999.JPG

This is it this year.

May

P1020669.JPG

July, with the usual second bloom.

P1030097.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not to worry. It's almost impossible to kill without harsh chemicals. Folks here in Texas often times try to severely prune it to death but even that doesn't work.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the most important thing is the root! You could layer some flexible stems to have another source of uptake of nutrients or even another plant! No need to worry at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: What a mess @DeborahJane - so sorry to see this. We have a fair bit of disruptive wind too at the moment and it's 'orrible.
I wouldn't be worrying about Wisteria at the moment, that will be fine, but oh dear what a lot of work to do putting the rest of the damage right.
1565429993410.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hope you kept that root ball stump. Of course it will take several years to dry, but in that time if you do not turn wood yourself you could find s new friend and end up with a nice bowl or vase depending on talent level.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question