Fall garden

Reaction score
Does anyone plant any vegs for the fall season? While I love to garden and appreciate the fresh food, by the end of Aug I'm ready to pull everything out. I'm tired of canning, pulling weeds,etc. I know we all live in different climates but how long is your growing season? I'm in the Northeast (Pa) so our growing season is not as long as some but longer then those up north.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Missann, I am just a little south of you (MD) just a little warmer, but not this year, really cool summer. I feel like you by the end of September, just a few fall plants like Mums.

Reaction score
Over here it ends by the end September. This summer was one of the coolest ones ever :O I enjoyed it so much, this growing season was (still is) the best :) I hope the next year is as good!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just planted up a cold frame with Mizuna, Land Cress & Spring Onions. Put some early Peas on to soak yesterday, might be time for a crop before the cold weather comes, was picking into November a couple of years back.

You could try some Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Japanese Onions, Yellow Mustard & Kale.

If your Garden Centre has got them you could plant seed potatoes now to get New Potatoes for Christmas Dinner. Won't be huge but will make a change :)

Reaction score
As our growing season for fruits and vegetables here is generally pretty long and normally starts somewhere around March and often goes right through to the end of October - well apart from the nuts and citrus - which the harvesting of usually keeps me pretty busy from now until January or Febuary - I have to confess that by mid October I'm normally having a strong urge to pull everything up in the vegetable garden and forget about that side of gardening for a while - particularly as we get a lot of flooding over the winter months - although that said - I do more often than not grow rainbow chard, potatoes, beans and artichokes over the winter :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good call Gata, forgot about Rainbow Chard (y)

Also Leaf Beet and Lambs Lettuce (also called Corn Salad):)

Reaction score
Good call Gata, forgot about Rainbow Chard (y)

Well in that case - am really pleased I jogged your memory - especially as I seem to recollect that you enjoyed growing and eating Rainbow Chard - as much as I do - even though cooking it often resembles a science experiment gone wrong or an explosion in a paint factory :D

Mind you I have to thank you too - as your mention of Lambs Lettuce - has just reminded me that I need to get some lettuce seeds too- as we often grow lettuce over the winter here :)

Ask a Question