Fairy Garden

Reaction score
My daughter and I enjoy creating gardens where "fairies" might thrive. I try to choose woodsy-looking sections of the yard and add plants and flowers that can grow well without lots of care. I have had great success with ivy and impatience. Can anyone recommend other plants that grow well in shade and require very little upkeep? Also, any suggestions for planting around tree roots?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

You'll get @claudine going with fairies again :D

Enchanter's Nightshade, Dog Violets, Dog's Mercury, Herb Paris, Primroses, Cowslips, Ramsons & Wild Strawberries should keep em happy.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some of the small sedums do well in dry shade. In moist shade you can't beat
Soleirolia soleirolii (Mother of Thousands, Baby's Tears). It spreads and really likes shady areas. It is one of my favorite ground covers for small areas in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fairies! I love fairies!:love: I'm so glad we have a new thread where we can talk about them:D
I still haven't found any of these enchanting creatures in my garden, but I keep looking:D
Have you thought about ferns? They grow well in shade, they look very pretty and I'm sure fairies love them.

Green-Forest-of-Ferns-green-19838811-1024-768.jpg

Reaction score
A garden where "fairies" might thrive would always be enchanting in my book and one in a woodland setting even more so :)

One of the first plants that comes to mind that would be really easy care and ideal for planting in a woodland setting would Asarum Maxium or Panda Ginger whose carpeting, shiny evergreen heart shaped leaves would provide an ideal place for fairies to shelter - I can just imagine a fairy sheltering under one of these

strange -panda Asarum gravel_max.jpg

strange panda faced .jpg

strange panda ginger.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's so beautiful! I haven't seen Panda Ginger before, I had no idea of its existence. Now, I want to plant it in my garden. It looks more than lovely, I like both its flowers and its heart-shaped leaves. I'm sure that fairies would love them too:D

Reaction score
My daughter and I enjoy creating gardens where "fairies" might thrive. I try to choose woodsy-looking sections of the yard and add plants and flowers that can grow well without lots of care. I have had great success with ivy and impatience. Can anyone recommend other plants that grow well in shade and require very little upkeep? Also, any suggestions for planting around tree roots?

Impatiens grow well in shade and require very little upkeep. Just weed and water and watch them grow for you. They come in a wide variety of colors. I'm not sure which color the fairies prefer but I'm sure they'll like at least one of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

I know this is an older post but I shared a link on my FB page today on this topic. It's all about the best plants for fairy gardens. :love:

http://empressofdirt.net/plants-for-miniature-gardens/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hostas do well in the shade. What a cute idea :) I've been seeing fairy gardens more and more. It's a great plan for those areas in the garden that may otherwise have been ignored before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh those photos of the Panda Ginger are just breathe taking, and the color, oh my, are amazing @gata montes ! I now want to know where I can get them and how to care for them. I have never heard of this name or seen the flower before. Gorgeous!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The environment under a tree is a challenging one to grow plants. Plants growing here have to battle for food, sunlight and water. They should also be surface rooted, evergreen and deciduous. It is hard to till or improve soils here since you are likely to injure the plant roots. A good example of a plant that you can grow in such an environment is hostas. They produce a lush evergreen undergrowth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just heard about fairy gardens when I was on an auction site and people were auctioning off cute little figurines to put in their fairy gardens. I thought they were all so adorable and I started to research it and now I want my own fairy garden.

Ask a Question