Face-palm of the year for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My garden is generally a mess this year as I had to travel a lot for work this spring but I planted some sweet potatoes around it. And by that I mean planted them in random locations without marking them.

The previous owners of my house / garden had morning glories planted along the fence. Over the years they went to seed (the flowers not the previous owners) and I have random morning glories sprouting up in the veg garden.

Do yo know how hard it is to tell these two botanical cousins apart? This idea wasn't thought out well.

I miss my old raised beds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Commiserations mate :giggle: If I were you, I would obliterate everything in that garden and start all over again. How about concentrating on building some more raised beds.
1628065014330.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't make me itch because I don't grow it, but I understand it can cause a nasty rash. There are so many plants you have to watch out for :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have 5 raised beds going in there. A 6th raised bed is 75% built in my shop right now. I think I have room for 14 total raised beds - each being about 8' long and 30" wide. I am using corrugated galvanized-steel roofing panels for the sides topped with a wooden frame. The price spike due to material shortages has slowed my construction down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need to get in early, the first two seed leaves on morning glory are quite different and very distinctive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The morning glories are only a minor battle I am fighting. Speaking to a neighbor I learned the morning glories had been on the fence for years and there were a TON of seeds. Those stupid seeds stay viable in the ground for decades. At least they're a domesticated blue flower vine NOT the wild morning glory a.k.a devil's bind vine. The domestic seem easier to kill than the wild.

For my gardening style raised beds with defined sides works much better. Largely my style is the modern French market garden with mulch involved.

Ask a Question