Extracting Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ever wondered how to extract seeds from your fruits and vegetables to plant next season? Here is an article in Mother Earth News that talks about the simple techniques of extracting the seeds from plants for replanting. There is even a video link to watch.

How to Extract Seeds

Reaction score
Thanks for this! I usually get the seeds from my poppies and cilantro plants by simply puting the pods in a brown paper bag until they are dried and then shaking it vigorously. I have been too afraid/lazy to try the softer fruits and veggies,I will have to give it a go now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have saved a few different seeds this year from lavender to cucuzza. I just dried the butternut squash seed, and I am waiting for a tomato I left on the vine to get to the overripe stage so I can harvest that seed. The plants performed really well for me and one is even still producing!

Reaction score
My tomatoes and peppers are still producing for me as well. I had mixed luck with them though I got hundreds if not thousands of cherry tomatoes from a few plants, but 2 full size heirloom tomatoes. :confused: My Eight Ball squash gave up really early in the season also. We have had some weird weather so I can't really blame the plants for being confused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for telling us about this article, KevinKimers. I've just read it, it's really informative and interesting.
Collecting seeds from fruits, vegetables and flowers is a great way to save some money:)

Ask a Question