expecting floods

Reaction score
Hey guys in Texas here our lovely whether guy says to expect 6 inches of rain tonight what can I do to protect my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey guys in Texas here our lovely whether guy says to expect 6 inches of rain tonight what can I do to protect my garden
I got a hair under 4" last night and so far today nearly 3" with a lot more on the way. There isn't much you can do for your garden except hope it doesn't wash away. At least we won't have to water for awhile.

Reaction score
I got a hair under 4" last night and so far today nearly 3" with a lot more on the way. There isn't much you can do for your garden except hope it doesn't wash away. At least we won't have to water for awhile.
That's true lol most of my plant should be strong enough my concern is the young ones this will make flood #3 for us this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's true lol most of my plant should be strong enough my concern is the young ones this will make flood #3 for us this year
This is the first real rain I have had all year. I waded out to the garden a few minutes ago and all of my plants were looking around and asking WTH is this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm worrying about it too. Heavy rains are expected tonight:( I live on an island, so it's possible that we will have a flood. Everyone here is scared of it. I don't want to lose my garden. I've just planted a few rose cuttings outside, they're very important to me, I hope they'll survive:(

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Turn off water valves. If you have manholes nearby weight them down with sandbags (we used to have heavy flooding when we lived in Iowa). Move free standing objects like pots to a sheltered location. Peg netting over ponds if you have fish. Move power machinery indoors and drain the mower of gas. Lock tools and any chemicals away. If you have a greenhouse you can protect it with sandbags as well. You can try to harvest anything that can ripen in the house. But for next time you might want to mark the higher water levels and plant accordingly next year if it will be due to happen again. After the flood, your garden may have some shallow rooting. You can place stepping stones along the border of your garden so that you do not damage it too much as you step on it before all the water drains. Or you could work by kneeling on boards. I'm not sure what part of Texas you are in but if its salt water damage then some people rinse the plants off afterwards and replant them in pots to help them along so the salt doesn't kill them. Bon Courage!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I know. I was glad to hear on the news yesterday we are gonna have a cooler and wetter summer than normal :D Today is a great day for transplanting. The ground is as easy to dig as butter.

Ask a Question