Exotic Growths

Reaction score
Have any of you ever grown something and witnessed it thrive in an area or climate that it does not normally grow or has been said will never be able to grow? (Like pineapples, fruit trees, etc.) If so, please share. And, why do you think you were able to prove everyone wrong?

Reaction score
Well, my neighbor has a avocado tree! I thought those trees weren't so successful over here, but this one way :) They planted it a long time ago, the mom uses the leaves to prepare certain things. The tree might not yield a lot avocados, but it still does bring in a few ;)

Reaction score
Well, my neighbor has a avocado tree! I thought those trees weren't so successful over here, but this one way :) They planted it a long time ago, the mom uses the leaves to prepare certain things. The tree might not yield a lot avocados, but it still does bring in a few ;)

I always think of avocados as exotic, too - for the areas I've lived in. That's really cool. I've always wanted to grow pineapples and I hear it's pretty simple to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a lemon tree. I maneged to grow it because I planted it in a pot:) During summer, I keep it outside the house. When winter is getting closer, I move it indoors.
My parents have a peach tree in their garden. I have no idea how it survived the last winter.

Reaction score
I have a lemon tree. I maneged to grow it because I planted it in a pot:) During summer, I keep it outside the house. When winter is getting closer, I move it indoors.
My parents have a peach tree in their garden. I have no idea how it survived the last winter.

Yes, my friend grows a lemon tree in a pot in her house as well and just moves it to and fro, depending on the season. Do you find that your tree makes smaller-than-usual lemons or are they average?

Reaction score
Lemon trees are really easy to start from seed. In order to have the lemons I think that you do have to pollinate them. I have grown from seed and also bought miniature lemon and orange trees which take up less space.

Reaction score
Lemon trees are really easy to start from seed. In order to have the lemons I think that you do have to pollinate them. I have grown from seed and also bought miniature lemon and orange trees which take up less space.

Is it possible that they're being pollinated enough when placed outside during warmer seasons? Or, how exactly can you do it yourself if they're primarily inside?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, my friend grows a lemon tree in a pot in her house as well and just moves it to and fro, depending on the season. Do you find that your tree makes smaller-than-usual lemons or are they average?
It doesn't make any lemons yet:unsure: I think it's only a matter of time though.
I would try to grow something really exotic, like jacarandas in pots or maybe a pomegranate tree. It would be so exciting!:D

Reaction score
Although most Lemon trees when grown outside are self pollinating - meaning that you don't need more than one tree in order to get fruit - they generally have to be hand pollinated if grown inside - however if you were to place the tree outside during the summer months it may well be possible that it could be pollinated that way - especially if you lived in area where there was an abundance of pollinating insects to do the job :)

I would however just add that although it is possible to grow some fruit trees from seed and particularly lemons - unless you are wanting to grow a tree for purely for its ornamental value - growing fruit trees from seed is not normally recommended - for the simple reason that very few come true from seed and apart from the length of time it takes for a tree to reach maturity - you more often than not land up with a weak or diseased specimen - that may or may not resemble the mother plant - as well as one that rarely if ever bears fruit and if it did - you would probably wish it hadn't - as the fruit is very unlikely to taste anything like you were expecting - which is known to be particularly so with lemon trees grown from seed.

Reaction score
I always think of avocados as exotic, too - for the areas I've lived in. That's really cool. I've always wanted to grow pineapples and I hear it's pretty simple to do.

I saw pineapples growing in a greenhouse in NL, so I believe it can be done almost everywhere (y) I have always wanted to have an olive tree, but not sure it can be done in this area. I heard a neighbor has one, but maybe the person who told me was wrong.

Ask a Question