Exotic Edible Indoor House Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Would really appreciate your knowledge and guidance with a project I am working on.

I am trying to find an exotic edible plant to grow indoors. Searching the internet there are many very common types...tomatoes, avocados etc.

I am not looking for a fruiting plant and trying to avoid a herb. One plant I have looked in too is the Pandan plant (Pandanus amaryllifolius).

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

AB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana Plant for indoors or outdoors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you! Will look into it.

Any other leafy non-fruiting plants welcomed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm growing basil and parsley indoors under fluorescent lights and its so much fun. They seem to do well indoors but most of my eatable plants have been trasplanted outdoors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s a great idea.

I also looked at Kerguelen cabbage! But impossible to access seeds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will you be using indoor lighting or window lighting? Wow, I looked up Kerguelen cabbage and I see what you mean about being exotic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Window lighting, so looking at tropical plants whereby they will be used to shading (I.e UK’s lack of sun) and with the home being around 21 degrees all year round.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Window lighting, so looking at tropical plants whereby they will be used to shading (I.e UK’s lack of sun) and with the home being around 21 degrees all year round.
You mean 21 celsius?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So...I am not eating it, but I love growing callisia fragrans. Basket plant. I have heard it called medicine plant, and have read before that some cultures or people eat it for various health purposes. I just think it is pretty and it spills out of containers and spreads in an attractive way. I dont think it is an herb. Or fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Joy! I'll definitely look into that, sounds very interesting.

Also exploring Taro and False Shamrock. Hoping to get more exotic ideas from here!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My friend who owns a pet shop and I were chatting today about marginals for another friend who has bunnies that nibble her plants. I suggested taro, and was about to dig out several bulbs, and he said no. I have not done the research, but he said only the bulbs are safe, the foliage is toxic to animals. That is a cool coincidence the topic has arisen twice in one day. Just thought i would pass that information along to you, just in case. I hope your project goes well! Is it for school or fun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Joy!

Just an interesting Covid-19 project I thought I would give a try. See if I can make double use of my indoor plants......survival food/great aesthetics haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No problem, I hope my input has not been a waste of your time. I would love to know which plants you select.
I understand your motivation. Though I am busy, this time of year I would normally be swamped and posting would be a laughable thought. Our shops are closed, I do not have to go at all (plants moved to my already over "planted" home, porches, entryway, balcony, deck, greenhouses, and I am starting to eyeball the docks and boathouse with newfound interest) and staff kids are doing curbside pickup for pet supplies. Instead of moving it out after propagating started, I moved more in when i thought it impossible. That reminds me, I need to go set up another few hydroponic containers for the top of aquariums and porch ponds for more space conservation with propagations.
Keep me posted!

Ask a Question