Excessive phosphorus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My green house garden isn't doing much. Just not coming on like it should. So, I sent a soil sample off to OSU Extension Service and it came back yesterday. The results are pretty much normal , except the Ph level is a little high and there is excessive phosphorus .
Here is the report:

Routine tests Secondary nutrients Micronutrients

Ph 7.6 SO4-S (lbs/A)
Buffer index surface
NO3-N (lbs/A) subsoil
Surface 50
Subsoil
Soil Test P index 672 (336ppm)
Soil Test K Index 1104 (552 ppm)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Results Requirements Comments
Ph adequate No lime required
Nitrogen adequate none
Phosphorus Excessive none
Potassium adequate none

I would like to lower the Ph slightly and I don't know what I might do about the Excessive Phosphorus. I can just add the Miracle Grow as an additive. What else might help get these plants growing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My green house garden isn't doing much. Just not coming on like it should. So, I sent a soil sample off to OSU Extension Service and it came back yesterday. The results are pretty much normal , except the Ph level is a little high and there is excessive phosphorus .
Here is the report:

Routine tests Secondary nutrients Micronutrients

Ph 7.6 SO4-S (lbs/A)
Buffer index surface
NO3-N (lbs/A) subsoil
Surface 50
Subsoil
Soil Test P index 672 (336ppm)
Soil Test K Index 1104 (552 ppm)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Results Requirements Comments
Ph adequate No lime required
Nitrogen adequate none
Phosphorus Excessive none
Potassium adequate none

I would like to lower the Ph slightly and I don't know what I might do about the Excessive Phosphorus. I can just add the Miracle Grow as an additive. What else might help get these plants growing?
The main reason for P buildup in soil is the excessive use of chemical fertilizers and there is NO means of getting rid of excessive phosphorus except time. STOP using Miracle Grow fertilizer. Use a plant based organic fertilizer until the levels are normal and then use a manure/poultry litter organic fertilizer. Lowering or raising a ground soil Ph is almost impossible in the long term. If growing in containers it is a seasonal effort. Lowering ground soil Ph is a yearly endeavor and rather pricey.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Petroleum-Gro is also responsible for your pH being high; you have salted your soil.
Throw that muck away.
Lower your pH with aged animal manure.
Phosphate over 3% is locked in your soil; you will have to use up the excess prior to it releasing more.

Nature is the only miracle grower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have not added anything to this soil. The only source of soil I could find was Timberline top soil from Georgia. These beds are 8 ft. x 4 ft. x 18 inches deep and it took 50 cubic feet to fill just one bed. I have three.
I wish they had listed more info on the report. I thought I could sprinkle a little 5-0-0 fertilizer, might help the growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have not added anything to this soil. The only source of soil I could find was Timberline top soil from Georgia. These beds are 8 ft. x 4 ft. x 18 inches deep and it took 50 cubic feet to fill just one bed. I have three.
I wish they had listed more info on the report. I thought I could sprinkle a little 5-0-0 fertilizer, might help the growth.
It would appear that the Timberline TopSoil is something to avoid. It is probably scrapings from old burned out farmland caused by years of oil/chemical fertilizer use. It will have been sterilized to kill weed seeds which means very limited soil microbes. It will take more than a little 5-0-0. I would start by mixing a good compost, no more than 30% by volume, into the soil. I would also add copious amounts of molasses to quickly enhance the number of soil microbes. Just adding nitrogen won't do much at all for the soil as your soil test already states that plenty of nitrogen is already available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Molasses?
Why molasses?
Because of all of the carbohydrates molasses is the best at helping multiply soil microbes, both fungal and bacterial. Molasses is an easy food source for them. Soil microbes are the life forms which break down all organic matter into forms available for nutrient uptake by plants. Molasses is also one of the products used around the world by soil remediation companies to help clean up toxic waste sites. It is also used by commercial farmers to bring soil back to life after years of synthetic fertilizer use which leaves a buildup of mineral salts behind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Specifically fungi that come for the bacteria are beneficial. They have a demonstrated ability to improve uptake of P by plants. They will show up to feed on the bacteria you started blooming with the sugars like molasses. Eventually you will remove the plant and its production which physically takes P out of the soil over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, because I went cheap and bought top soil in bags, I am pretty much left with trying to bring this stuff back to life with molasses, black cow manure, and potting soil. I am doing all I know to bring the plants I have into a growth and productive season. The onions are not doing squat. The broccoli and cabbages look like they might do something, The tomato plants are looking better, but not coming on like they should. I have learned my lesson! Never ever use that dead top soil.
IMG_1355 (2).JPG
IMG_1753 (1).JPG
IMG_1753 (1).JPG
IMG_1761.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I put 1/2 cup molasses in 2 gallons water and watered my raised containers with this. 2 days later there is an amazing difference . Wow! they act like this is just what they needed. I'll hit them again next week with the molasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I put 1/2 cup molasses in 2 gallons water and watered my raised containers with this. 2 days later there is an amazing difference . Wow! they act like this is just what they needed. I'll hit them again next week with the molasses.
NO! The standard amount is 1 oz per gallon of water. Wait at least a month. Too much of any good thing is bad. You are dealing with soil microbes not hogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The article I read suggested 1/2 cup / 2 gallons to help correct steril soil over 1000 sq ft.
I'm certain that I used too much, but the plants sure perked up. I will use much weaker solution in at least 3 weeks.

Ask a Question