Euphorbia milli crown of Thorns Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
We live in Tepic Mexico. It is about 80 F during the day and then cools off to about 50 F at night time. This is during the cooler season and during the hot season it can be about 95 F during the day and about 75 at night time. I'm wondering if my plants look healthy? They are both south facing in full sun. I've been water them every 2 weeks. Someone here suggested 1 a week. The first 3 photos are of my first plant that I have. When I repotted this plant I left the dirt that the plant came with round the roots. The pot is 1/2 full of stone and some small wood and the 2nd 1/2 next to the plant roots is compost. I've been making the compost over the last year.
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG
Then the next 4 are my 2nd plant. When I repotted this plant I used the soil that it came with and the rest is compost. No rocks or wood at the bottom. I wanted to see which one would do better. This last week I started watering them both 1 per week. Thank you for your feed back.
IMG_2842.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG

Reaction score
Whatever you've been doing up to now - I would keep doing - especially as I think your Euphorbia Milii are looking particularly strong and healthy - as well as very pretty :) and although I don't think you need it - but just in case you want some clarification that how you are caring for them is the right way to make them thrive - the following may help.

Euphorbia Milii are one of the toughest plants around as they can withstand all kinds of extreme conditions - however even though they can - doesn't mean that they will always look there best when experiencing those extremes and although these are technically a succulent plant - they actually prefer slightly more tropical growing conditions - meaning that although they can withstand long hours of intense sunlight - they actually prefer some light afternoon shade - as well as - very well drained gritty loam based moisture retentive soil - which during the growing season needs to be kept very slightly moist - but saying that - although they are fairly flexible in terms of water requirements - they are at their best if the surface soil is allowed to dry out between waterings and are best kept on the dry side during the winter months - while the plant is dormant. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
gata montes thank you for your encouraging words.

My first plant is about 3 months old & the 2nd is about 1 month. I forgot to say that my first plant had clay type soil around the roots. Do you think I should have taken the clay soil out before putting it in the new planter? It had one good size root coming out the the clay soil. I was concerned about disturbing the soil from the roots.

In the hot climate that I live in do you think watering 1 time a week is good? Is it normal for the flowers to fall off as new ones grow? The older flower are turning dry and then fall off. Should I remove the dry flower or wait till they fall on their own? I water the plant till water comes out of the bottom of the pot and then water again the following Saturday.

Do you know if the plant has both male and female flowers? When is the best time to take a cutting for new plant? What size should the cutting be? I will show updated photos as it continue to grow. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Reaction score
You're welcome - Although I think that you were right to be concerned about disturbing the root of such a young plant - I'm thinking that so long as when re-potting you added some more loamy based soil around the clay covered root - that your plant will be fine - but if it is still encased in clay soil it may be a good idea to re-pot it - in late spring or early summer into a better more moisture retentive soil - so that it can withstand the extreme summer temperatures.

As for watering - you will need to be flexible here - as it will very much depend on the temperature as to how often you will need to do it - in order to keep the soil very slightly moist and would suggest that instead of automatically watering your plant on a weekly basis - before doing so check to see how dry the top surface of the soil is - because as I mentioned before - although these plants like to be kept very slightly moist - they do best if the top 1 to 2 inches of soil is allowed to dry out between waterings.
Yes it is quite natural for the older spent blooms to fall off to allow the new ones through and whether you allow the spent blooms to fall off of their own accord or you remove them - is entirely up to you - as it will do no harm to the plant either way.

The best time to take cuttings is late spring or early summer when the plants are actively growing - which in your climate is probably around late April to May - and they are very easily done - but you will need to wear gloves when doing so - as the sap can irritate the skin and is also slightly toxic if ingested. You will need to take a cutting that is between 3 - 5 inches in length - which once cut you will need to dip in water to stop the sap from flowing and then leave it to dry out for around 24 hours before popping into to a gritty moisture retentive soil - which needs to be kept very slightly moist and they normally take around 6 weeks to root :)
To be perfectly honest am not entirely sure regarding male and female flowers - but do recall that I was once told that the flowers of this plant start off female and as they mature change to male - either way one thing I know for sure - is that bees love them as they are said to hold copious quantities of nectar :)

Reaction score
Gata montes gave you plenty of excellent advice and I second allowing the plants to have some light afternoon shade. Many plants like to have that condition, especially when the weather is at its hottest. Keep up with what you are doing, the plants look healthy and blooming!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Hello Fellow gardeners,

I wanted to show you updates of my 4 Euphorbia Milii. (COT) Last week I made cuttings of 3 to the plants.

This is my first COT plant. I took 2 cutting from this plant. This one didn't grow as fast as the others. Maybe because it is a different type COT?
View attachment 4919
#2 COT plant before taking cuttings and removing leaves.
View attachment 4920
Same COT plant after removing 4 cuttings and leaves. This was my first time propagating my COT. I'm wondering how the pruning looks? I the cuttings I took off made more room for new grow and better circulation. I notest that one of the small cuttings had roots but I accidently took the cutting above the roots. Has any one els had toots grown one the side branches close to the soil? I think I may have put the soil higher up to see if it would root and it did:)
View attachment 4921
this is one of 8 cuttings most are the same as this one. I took the cuttings and put them directly into soil and watered them. They are about 6 inch each and one is about 1/2 inch. Do you think I should remove the flowers and more leaves?
IMG_6836.JPG

This COT plant #4 My wife brought this home in Dec of 2014. I put it in soil just as the new cuttings of COT plants. At first some of the leave died off but now it is growing new flowers new top growth. The leaves look dry to me. I removed part of a plant that was in the same pot as the COT. I also took out some of the soil so the water wouldn't run out of the pot. Now I'm able to water it more thoroughly.
IMG_6903.JPG

This COT plant has had several sets of flowers for the last 4 months.
IMG_6602.JPG
I had some white substance growing on some of my COT plants. I'm not sure if it was mold? I think the issue with the mold was we lived in a house where the sun didn't get on the COT plants enough. Our new rental has full sun during the day until about 3pm. I haven't seen any more mold.

There was something eating my plants. I have checked my other COT plants they have some similar issues with the leaves. I haven't seen any caterpillars or webs. There are some spiders webs. After taking the cuttings I haven't seen any more of this issue.
IMG_5873.JPG

Has anyone here grown COT plants from seeds? So far I haven't see any seed pods coming out of the flowers. Maybe they popped open before I saw them?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mother has a huge potted crown of thorns. Of course, here in the mid-south US, it has to be an indoor plant. But she's had it for probably 20 years - she's a great indoor gardener. I can't get plants to live inside for the the life of me.

It's so interesting to see this familiar potted, indoor plant outside in your garden. You're doing a great job with it. Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment out of yours as we've gotten from my mother's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
My mother has a huge potted crown of thorns. Of course, here in the mid-south US, it has to be an indoor plant. But she's had it for probably 20 years - she's a great indoor gardener. I can't get plants to live inside for the the life of me.

It's so interesting to see this familiar potted, indoor plant outside in your garden. You're doing a great job with it. Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment out of yours as we've gotten from my mother's.

galmal,
Has your mom made cutting from her COT? Do you have any photos?

I've been enjoying my COT plants. Here the temperature during the this time of the year can be around 85 during the day and about 50 at night. Soon the temperature will be about 95-100/60. We are about 3,000 feet above sea level. I'm looking forward to the new cutting to start growing root and new growth. I have been taking photos of them to see the progress. I will post some of them as they start to grow.

Thank you galmal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
I was taking some photos of the new COT cuttings that I took about a week ago and I saw 2 of them looked roten. The mother plant is not a thick branch type. So I think that the cutting rotted faster then the others.

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG
I cutted off the rotten part, put it back in the soil and both are in the sun to dry.
IMG_7178.JPG

This COT cutting is the same as the other thick branch cuttings and they didn't have the same issue. I have all the COT cuttings in the sun for today and them in the shade for a week. Maybe they will start growing soon. I was reading that it can take about 20-30 days to grow roots. Maybe it will be less do to warm temperatures here.
IMG_7189.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG

The next time I will try to have the cuttings dry out for a longer time at least 3 days. Then put the COT cuttings in dry soil in the shade for about 1 wk. Maybe this will make a difference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
galmal,
Has your mom made cutting from her COT? Do you have any photos?
Yes, she takes cuttings from it every once in while, when it starts to get out of control. She usually gives them away. Unfortunately, I can't grow indoor plants to save my life, so I've never been able to get them to grow. But she does have a couple that she's kept and they are doing well. She really has a green thumb.

I don't have any photos of her's, but I'll make sure I take my camera next time I visit and post a photo.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Crown of Thorns Plant (Euphorbia Milii) Indoor Care Guide

The Crown of Thorns Plant (Euphorbia milii) is a broadleaf evergreen semi-succulent shrub and a member of a large Euphorbia genus. It is native to Madagascar and grows in tropical climates worldwide. It’s quite popular as a houseplant since it requires little care and thrives indoors.
Euphorbia milii is a hardy plant. It can survive extremely unfavorable conditions and still come out looking lush and colorful.
You can propagate Euphorbia milii from tip cuttings but let sap dry before placing the cutting in a growing medium.
  1. Cut the apex of a healthy stem with a lush crown of bracts.
  2. Remove the bottom leaves and insert the stem into moist soil (after waiting for the sap to dry).
  3. Keep the soil moist and place the container somewhere sunny and warm.
  4. The plant will grow roots and new shoots from the cut end of the stem.

Comprehensive video guide on how to take care

Ask a Question