Euphorbia bicompacta (Green African Milk Bush) problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I have a Euphorbia bicompacta (Green African Milk Bush) plant that is going through some issues, up until now it has been a pretty happy plant and growing super well. i went away on a trip and left someone else to take care of it under my instructions but after i came back it seems that because of excess of humidity or lack of ventilation of the room or/and other reasons a problem with spider mites developed, it seems it's a mild one so far (i don't see a lot of them) so i tackled it with a neem oil and soap solution, it appears to go ok (there's less and less of them visibly) yet the plant leaves are starting to get more and more yellow and and also a lot of leaves a falling and getting wrinkled. So i thought it also could be over watering, meaning a problem not related to the spider mites, but i don't think it is since the plant has been watered at most once a week and not abundantly. So wonder if you can advise on steps to take to figure out what the issue is? Should I get into the soil and see if the roots are ok/not damaged? also is there any other damage that can be caused by spraying the plant with the neem and soap solution?

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Green African Milk Bush (Euphorbia bicompacta, formerly Synadenium compactum). This is one of several closely related species of the Synadenium group of Euphorbia section Monadenium, native to eastern Africa. This plant can grow in various light levels from full sun to bright shade. It wants well drained soil conditions and regular irrigation, with less water in Winter when growth slows. It will benefit from a monthly application of a complete, liquid fertilizer.

For the plant shown in the OP, continue to work to iradicate the spider mite infestation. Irrigation should be doen fully so that some water drains from the contianer. Then the soil should be allowed to partly to mostly dry before the next irrigation. Fertilize as recommended above. If possible, Summer the plant outdoors after the weather warms in late Spring. This often works well as a tonic for ailing house plants.

Ask a Question