Euonymus Manhattan shocked?

Reaction score
Country
United States
20200424_164641.jpg

I planted two of these last spring, they're in moderate sunlight and we're in Denver Colorado. They stayed green all summer and seemed to be healthy but didn't spring any new leaves or appear to grow at all but assumed they were just growing roots for their firs year. They stayed fairly green and healthy through the winter, which was no more harsh than usual and plenty of moisture. A couple of weeks ago, I finally noted fresh small green leaves budding on them. Then we got 4 inches of snow but the temp wasn't lower than 25. Now they both look like this. Are they dead? What happened? First photo is now, bottom photo shows the fresh blooms I was seeing before the spring cold snap.

Attachments

• 20200424_164654.jpg
    20200424_164654.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 147
Reaction score
Country
United States
Take your thumbnail and scratch the bark and see if there is any green under the bark. Start at the top and If no green go lower a few inches and keep going until you hit green. The part at the top that is dead you can cut off. If you check all the way down and no green your Euonymus is dead. If you hit green then remove all the dead wood until you hit green and stop. I see green at the bottom of the plant so that may be the starting point of your plant this spring. Where I live using rocks as mulch holds too much heat and too much cold and is not a good choice for mulch. You may want to change to hardwood mulch to better maintain the soil temps and water moisture. .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Take your thumbnail and scratch the bark and see if there is any green under the bark. Start at the top and If no green go lower a few inches and keep going until you hit green. The part at the top that is dead you can cut off. If you check all the way down and no green your Euonymus is dead. If you hit green then remove all the dead wood until you hit green and stop. I see green at the bottom of the plant so that may be the starting point of your plant this spring. Where I live using rocks as mulch holds too much heat and too much cold and is not a good choice for mulch. You may want to change to hardwood mulch to better maintain the soil temps and water moisture. .

Wow, thank you oneeye! There is definitely tons of green still, so Im glad its not dead. Do you think now would be the best time to do this trimming, or should I wait till its a bit warmer. Most gardeners in Colorado wait till after mothersday to plant new things etc.

Ask a Question