Espalier

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with growing an espalier? And what kind of fruit tree works best for this. I have been interested in starting one but I'm not really sure where to start and I'm hoping to get some advice or ideas from someone who has already done it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
So I usually hate it when people comment on a topic and say "Well I have no experience, but here's my opinion anyway." but I figure this post is a few months old and no comments and I'm also interested in espalier.

I bought a goji plant a week or so ago, and I'm going to try a free form fan espalier with it. I found a couple of photos that I'll use sort of as a guide.

apple_mm106_12l_fan.jpg

72a15f505a715458d346b02ab10aee85.jpg

Since I really don't know what the growth habit is of goji berries - or how it'll lend itself to espalier for that matter - I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants. I know that lateral growth is what bears the most fruit, and you're supposed to prune back about half its vertical height every spring to encourage that.

I'd be happy to share my experience with you over the course of this growing season if you're still around! Gojis apparently grow quickly so we'll see within the year if it's feasible.

Ask a Question