"Error Codes"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Many modern appliances with digital displays, show "error codes" when they go wrong.
We've a Bosch washing machine and a dishwasher that have these features.

Yesterday, at 800am, I was about to leave to play golf, so I turned on the dishwasher. I do this on golf days, as I can empty it when I get home. Just a question of pressing three buttons.

Wrong!

A code came up, it was on the wrong programme (a three hour one) which I didn't want and it didn't matter what button I pressed (there's a lot) I got the same message. I hadn't time to wade through the instructions. So as I couldn't hear any water running, I turned it off.

Committed to playing golf that morning I left it and drove through the heavy rush hour traffic, working out what I would have to do when I got home.

Firstly, empty the dishwasher and wash up everything by hand. Then phone a local repair agent, (the one that'd unjammed the washing machine's filter a couple of years ago).

When they'd be able to come was a guess.

Maybe we'd need a new machine? This one's five years old and it's on at least once a day and sometimes twice, (don't ask why, with only two people in this house)...Well OK then, we never rinse out a cup or glass by hand.

If we needed a new one, not a problem, but when could it be delivered?
Would "the right one" (you know what I mean) be available?

I was half way through our round when it came to me.

"CL"

Child lock!

I didn't realise there was one.

Somehow this had been activated, so just a case of disabling it when I got home and turning the machine on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bosch is german? Check for a failed O-ring. that is usually the problem. I literally flee their logic. Siemens and all that. Never works well over time but their metal alloys in my bosch hammer drills and such are superior.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that. It was just that I'd accidentally activated the child lock of which I wasn't aware there was one until I checked the instruction book. It was just the "CL" that gave me the clue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for that. It was just that I'd accidentally activated the child lock of which I wasn't aware there was one until I checked the instruction book. It was just the "CL" that gave me the clue.
Oh there is always a logic from that country. I bought my wife a porsche years ago and have developed a nasty attitude about some certain engineers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The instruction book covers a variety of models and just like your new car handbook, words like, "if fitted" are frequently read.
So some of the advice like, "press button B" where there's no naffin' button B in the illustration of the control panel, isn't helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The instruction book covers a variety of models and just like your new car handbook, words like, "if fitted" are frequently read.
So some of the advice like, "press button B" where there's no naffin' button B in the illustration of the control panel, isn't helpful.
Yeah. Engineers see no sense in updating instructions.

Ask a Question