English Ivy Problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted some English Ivy outdoors a couple of weeks ago and the leaves on some of them are turning white.

Can anyone help me with what might be happening and what I can do to help save them?

Not a very experienced gardener here.

Thank you very much,

Reaction score
Have you done anything else, other than planting them? Sprayed,fed anything like that.

Ivy is as tough as anything, you can't kill it,even if you wanted to.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello CJ , nice to see you here, welcome. It looks to me as if your Ivy has leaf scorch. Usually this is caused by problems with watering. Hot sun on a newly planted specimen wouldn`t help it much either. I have had problems sometimes like this with small plants from the nursery that have been potted up with those little hairnet things wrapped around the root. Then the water doesn`t manage to get in there well enough.
if I were you I would investigate this by digging up your plant and taking all the compost away from the root to see what is happening there.
You need to make sure that lots of water soaks right through the roots to start with, and then stop watering to let the plant drain off. If you overwater the roots will not be able to get enough oxygen to them and the poor thing will drown.
Lets hope you can save it.....let us know :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to everyone for their advice. It hasn't rained and I haven't watered in a couple of days and they seem to be holding their own. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again - very nice forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've seen leaves do that when they get sunburnt. I have to tell my elderly neighbour every spring that he's left his young plants out in the sun too long. He never remembers to get them use to it first. If the leaves did burn, looks like the ivy will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
I purchased my house with around 1,000 square feet of english ivy in the front yard. My advice? Get rid of that stuff while you still can! haha but seriously, it requires constant maintenance or it will get into everything. I didn't notice a bit of it near a side window in the basement and it managed to push it's way into the house through the window. I've spent a lot of time and money keeping this stuff down, it's nearly impossible to kill once established apart from ripping it all out of the ground inch by inch. Virginia creeper is 100% better and is a native plant, just my opinion.

Ask a Question