End of season

Reaction score
What are you doing in your yard/garden to wrap up the growing season and usher in winter? I'm already dreaming up new garden beds to start in the spring, but I still have some cleaning of my beds to do before it gets too cold out. We finally had our first hard frost that killed off the last of my flowers yesterday! (In northern Ohio)

Reaction score
My outdoor gardening season started with promise, with a shade, black-eyed susan garden, but about a month into the summer the garden looked rather pathetic so I mowed it all down. I'll try something different next spring. Once I got rid of the shade garden that never was, I started to focus that much more on indoor gardening. Because of this, most of the rooms in my house are filled to the brim with indoor plants, especially my office and den. Other than the roses in my front yard I only have two in back, two very large Aloe Vera plants, which I will bring inside soon.

Below is a picture of the garden I started, within a month or so, there were 2-3 foot blackeyed susan's but they were scraggly and infested with mealy bugs. When I was cutting the backyard one day, I took the mower and put the flowers out of their misery. I'll try something different next spring.. Any suggestions??

Backyard-Garden.jpg
Backyard-Garden.jpg

Reaction score
All my plants have already died off. It's been pretty chilly up here (in Canada) and so my boyfriend and I took a weekend about 3 weeks ago to pull everything out and cover the soil with a tarp to prepare for the next season. I've sawed down my sunflowers, roasted the seeds, gathered the corn, etc. I've already been looking at non-gmo seeds to plant but can't decide what to try this year - and whether I want to try raised beds or not.

Reaction score
Where I live there isn't much of a winter. My plants thrive through the years with a bit of support. Since most of my plants are indoors I have a few grow lights and my plants constantly receive all the light and warmth they need.
I have these beautiful African violets growing in containers and they bloom all through the year. I also have these beautiful Euphoria Milli in reds and pinks that are filled with flowers all year long. Without these life would truly be dull for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All of my stuff is in containers, so there's not much to do. It doesn't usually get that cold here so I will just have to plan on covering my plants on the few nights temperatures drop to freezing, but not much else. I'm sure that will change as I add more plants, but hopefully it still won't be that much to manage.

Reaction score
We don't have winter here but we have the year-end monsoon season. Certain plants don't do well with too much water. So we schedule our planting such that we will have harvested everything before the rain comes. About the only thing which grows well in the heavy rain is morning glory. So during the end of the year, we eat a lot of morning glory.

Reaction score
We don't have winter here but we have the year-end monsoon season. Certain plants don't do well with too much water. So we schedule our planting such that we will have harvested everything before the rain comes. About the only thing which grows well in the heavy rain is morning glory. So during the end of the year, we eat a lot of morning glory.
Victor, did you really mean eat morning glory? I have never heard of this. Do you want to share how or what you eat? I hope you aren't joking.. or are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Victor, did you really mean eat morning glory? I have never heard of this. Do you want to share how or what you eat? I hope you aren't joking.. or are you?

I also wanted to ask about this; do you mean the flower, morning glory?
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Eating flowers is romantic - of course if it's just a choice and there are other options.
My garden looks beautiful now - it's all gold and red. Unfortunately, there are no flowers anymore. Fortunately, leaves remind me of them, they're so colorful:) . I wish we could skip winter and go directly to spring. I want my roses to bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My garden looks beautiful now - it's all gold and red. Unfortunately, there are no flowers anymore. Fortunately, leaves remind me of them, they're so colorful:) . I wish we could skip winter and go directly to spring. I want my roses to bloom.

Claudine, I have three plants that are still producing flowers right now, ginger, hibiscus, and begonia, and when I go outside and immediately see the flowers it instantly makes me smile. I hope you have a mild winter so you can enjoy your flowers again soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, I have three plants that are still producing flowers right now, ginger, hibiscus, and begonia, and when I go outside and immediately see the flowers it instantly makes me smile. I hope you have a mild winter so you can enjoy your flowers again soon!

In my country mild winter doesn't happen too often... I miss my roses so much!:( It's good that I have miniatures in my room but soon I'll have to put them in the attic where is colder. Are begonias difficult to grow? Do they need anything special? It would be great to have a few of them in my garden, they're so beautiful, they remind me of my lovely roses:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In my country mild winter doesn't happen too often... I miss my roses so much!:( It's good that I have miniatures in my room but soon I'll have to put them in the attic where is colder. Are begonias difficult to grow? Do they need anything special? It would be great to have a few of them in my garden, they're so beautiful, they remind me of my lovely roses:)

So far it seems my begonia only needs a good amount of sun and lots of water. I forget which variety of begonia it is, but the edges of the leaves start to turn red if it doesn't get enough water so it kind of tells you what it needs. I am going to start feeding all of my plants with compost tea soon, so I hope that will keep it healthy. It's really pretty when it blooms. (I'll see if I can find a picture, I'm sure I have one from before I trimmed it back.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It would be great if you could find a picture:D . I'm sure your begonias are beautiful. Now I want to grow begonias too:D

Reaction score
Begonias are pretty and need very little care to grow. Under the grow light they bloom all year through.. I never have a slump in the begonia blooms . I just have to re-pot them once in six months. There are so many varieties of begonia and it is hard to remember their names. Here are some of mine

begonia12.jpg

closeup+begonia.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, these pictures are beautiful, thank you for sharing them!:D I'm definitely going to grow some begonias. They'll look lovely in my garden:D

Ask a Question