Emergency!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, my first question on this forum. First of all, Hi everyone. Now... I grew a lot of annuals from seeds, starting as far back as mid February. I live in NJ so I planned on hardening this week and planting on Monday... BUT... one night during that week the temp is supposed to drop as low as 38 degrees. Will that ruin my entire plant project? Tomatoes I know I should wait a week or so, but a lot of my seedlings are getting so big I don't know if they will hold on without transplanting, and then again just a week later outside. Plus I have 100 plants I have to carry in and out every morning and evening. One stinking night??? Are you serious

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
38F will not damage tomatoes or most plants although it will alter their growth patterns. But, to alleviate this somewhat, go purchase a product called Nsulate. It is fairly inexpensive. Just cover the plants with the fabric and if you add more than one layer it works even better. One layer adds about 6 degrees of protection. Also, if you place the plants on the ground instead of in an elevated position it helps even more. You can use this stuff for years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Problem is I have about 50 elevated planters. Won't be easy but... I guess I can condense then all together on the ground and cover them. Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Problem is I have about 50 elevated planters. Won't be easy but... I guess I can condense then all together on the ground and cover them. Thanks for the help :)
You don't have to put them on the ground but it is best. You can wrap the containers, you can just place the containers on the fabric or not do anything. 38F isn't that cold. By placing the containers on the ground you are using the heat that is in the ground and it is probably 5 or 6 degrees warmer on the ground than it is 3 or 4 feet off of the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I know about the warmer ground temps, just that when u go on the internet you read so much BS. People say Temps in the 40's will ruin a lot of seedlings. I read where 45 is the absolute lowest they will tolerate. Just so frustrating because the weather has been so erratic. Generally warm enough to plant, but an occasional cold night that may ruin it all. IDK, that's why I signed up here... to get great advice like you gave me. Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes I know about the warmer ground temps, just that when u go on the internet you read so much BS. People say Temps in the 40's will ruin a lot of seedlings. I read where 45 is the absolute lowest they will tolerate. Just so frustrating because the weather has been so erratic. Generally warm enough to plant, but an occasional cold night that may ruin it all. IDK, that's why I signed up here... to get great advice like you gave me. Thanks again
They are correct up to a point. When a seedling only has cotyledon leaves it is extremely sensitive to cold weather but after a plant has true leaves it is not nearly as sensitive. And since yours are basically ready to transplant a lot of the worry is gone. A frost will definitely severely damage your plants but the use of Nsulate will stop even the threat of a light frost damaging them.

Ask a Question