Elephant ears are coming up soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The weather is warming up now, and here in Alabama, it is time for the beautiful Elephant Ears to come up, with their awesome giant leaves. I love these plants, they are such a tropical looking plant.
However, there is a dangerous side to Elephant Ears...... They are very poisonous, and if a puppy or child chews on one they will be very sick, and a puppy will probably die if he plays with one. I lost a puppy years ago, and had no idea why until I found the chewed up Elephant Ears, and then looked it up and discovered that they are poisonous.

Reaction score
Wow I love these plants too but was never aware they were poisonous to pets :( Thanks so much for sharing that information because I surely was going to look into these to plant around my japanese maple tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had to google this plant, it doesn't grow in my climate zone so I haven't seen it before. It's enormous, here is a picture I found:

ElephantEars.jpg

But I must say that I really hate poisonous plants, I don't want any of them in my garden - even if they were the most beautiful. It's just too risky. Also, I consider plants my friends and it's awful to think that some of them may be dangerous.

Reaction score
I grow elephant ears in my pond and creek and they do better there than they do in the ground. They are a tropical plant so I have to dig up the bulb in the fall, dry it out and then replant in the spring. Mine should start growing in the next week or so. I just put them into the pond and creek a few days ago.

Ask a Question