Eggplants not growing

Reaction score
I planted a tray of eggplants about 3 weeks ago and try to water them every other day. However, I have noticed that the leaves are turning a yellowish-brown. I haven't even used any fertilizer yet, there aren't that many pests present, and I really don't know what's wrong. I recently bought some netting from the local gardening supplies store and am going to place that on top of the plants. I was thinking maybe they were getting too much sun? I'm really not too sure, so any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted a tray of eggplants about 3 weeks ago and try to water them every other day. However, I have noticed that the leaves are turning a yellowish-brown. I haven't even used any fertilizer yet, there aren't that many pests present, and I really don't know what's wrong. I recently bought some netting from the local gardening supplies store and am going to place that on top of the plants. I was thinking maybe they were getting too much sun? I'm really not too sure, so any help is appreciated.
Watering every other day is way way too much water. You are drowning them. Water about once a week. Let them dry out and when you water give them a good soaking. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. Eggplants love the sun, the more the better

Reaction score
Yep, root rot is probably the culprit, especially if you have been watering them so much. When a plant's roots sit in water for too long, they get root rot. Basically the plant is drowning due to too much water.

Reaction score
I agree, my eggplants are producing and looking great. I water a couple of times a week, but lately we had rain, so I didn't water for a week. Now I did have to take one of them too early as a bug was getting them, but that is another story.

Reaction score
My one single eggplant is doing better than an eggplant has EVER done for me, and it is in full sun. However, this year I am growing it in a pot.

So, my best eggplant ever is growing in very light, well drained soil with low fertility. I did not get this good of a result in previous years in my garden and the garden soil is richer, but it is high in clay and so not as well drained.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine are in pots too, and get full sun. But it's so intense for so long, I have had to put up a shade for some of the afternoon sun. It's only a small sun umbrella from the dollar store, so it has filtered sun, and not a real 'shade'. They are doing well with this 'filtered' sun for a couple of hours, it seemed to give them a growth spurt.

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like overwatering . Let them be and water them when the soil dries. It has only been 3 weeks give them more time.

Ask a Question