Eeeek!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm always quoting Jane from the Gardening Australia ...
"Low maintenance doesn't mean NO maintenance ".
Why oh why didn't I take note:confused:. Every year for about 5 years my Happy Wanderer has gotten better and better. NOW look. NOW I do the research. Should have been gently cut back after flowering each year. There is sooo much dead growth underneath. Some long legths of brown with new growth on the end. Im trying to cut it back but don't like my chances of saving it, certainly notbto its "former glory".
Before and after shots:cry:
rps20180212_035416.jpg
rps20160831_080838.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh bother :rolleyes:

Can you take cuttings ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good idea zigs. I'm just a bit dispondent aboutvit I guess Plenty of other good things in my garden so I'll concentrate on those hey!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Daren has a good idea there--enjoy your flowering vine and then cut it back brutally. I did the same with a rambling rose, and it grew back quickly and flowered like mad. What is underground (roots) matters more than what is above ground.
I'd bet that within two seasons, you have a lovely display again!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What the name of this plant please? What a good show!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
What the name of this plant please? What a good show!
It's a Happy Wanderer Hardenbergia alp There is a white and a purple. I also have one that is 2 years old growing over a dead tree on my nature strip, no footpath so I've gardened out there. Apparently not entirely "legal" but the local council seems to let it go. I'm in a country town just out of Melbourne so maybe rules are a little more flexible. I haven't asked so mums the word:p. I also have a Wysteria growing over it plus solar lights. Looks pretty. But I'll certainly have to keep a check on the Hardenbergia ;) won't I?!
I agree Daren and marlingardener. Thanks for your thoughts:). I am trying to cut off the really dead vines with absolutely no growth on them

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, @DeborahJane ! Please don't laugh. I have never heard of or seen it. Such a good show. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wisteria will flower this year. Long overdue! So should my peony ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you, @DeborahJane ! Please don't laugh. I have never heard of or seen it. Such a good show. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wisteria will flower this year. Long overdue! So should my peony ..
It is an Australian native climber so no wonder you haven't heard of it alp:). I'm hanging out to see my peonie flower too. It only has a few flowers each year but worth waiting for.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20180521_225012.jpg
I've had several goes at cutting my harcenbergia back and I think finally I can leave itto reestablish. A mere shadow of its former self ;) but I really thought it may have been a pull out job so now i juust have to be patient and wait

Ask a Question