Eeeek!!! There is a very neat bug eating half of my tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20170217_033647.jpg
And it isn't even waiting for them to ripen. I have cut this bit off and the rest is fine but I don't want to share:confused:. I started to put this post in the Vegie section but remembered just in time that tomatoes are actually a fruit.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 16717 And it isn't even waiting for them to ripen. I have cut this bit off and the rest is fine but I don't want to share:confused:. I started to put this post in the Vegie section but remembered just in time that tomatoes are actually a fruit.:)
That is not insect damage. That is what is called Blossom End Rot. Here in Texas the cure for this disease is Epsom Salts. About 1/2 cup scattered around the base of the plant and watered in. What the cause of this is the plants inability to uptake calcium. Where I live BER is a very serious problem and ES is the cure. In other parts of the US with different soil conditions ES may or may not be a cure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Chuck. I have Epsom Salts in my garden shed and will apply when the sun comes up. Makes sense too. How would it munch so neatly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I was going to say blossom end rot too! Those tomatoes look really small! What variety are they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
Regular watering is important in this disease. And so, some sorts get sick often and others don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I noticed chuck already answered it. But ill go ahead and add my 2 cents. It also looks like it had been touching the ground thus creating the blossom rot. Especially if they are resting on wet soil.

Usually I feel around on the bottom where the blossom is and they fall off. But I do it looking for holes from bugs. I do it every morning and evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yep blossom end rot.
I just cut away the diseased section and eat the rest.

Ask a Question