Edible landscaping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There is a movement going on to "grow food not lawns." There is even a Facebook page devoted to this idea. Unfortunately, some places have ordinances against turning your front lawn into a miniature urban farm. A recent email from Gardener's Supply included a link to an article on edible landscaping.

Edible landscaping

7986-cabbages.jpg

Even before opening the email it started me thinking about stuff like edible ground covers. I don't recommend replacing the front lawn with berries or wintergreen though, that is unless you have an enclosed area that is safe from the neighborhood pets using it as a bathroom.

The other issue, depending on where you live, would be car exhaust fumes. Your edibles would have to be at least 9 feet away from the street for you not to have to worry.

Even with all that, wouldn't it be great to have a garden of mostly perrenial plants that were also edible?

Reaction score
I love the concept of "Grow Food Not Lawns". It doesn't have to be the entire area either, maybe part of a back yard. Even edible ground covers would be great too depending on your area.
ChanellG, you seem to be very knowledgeable with landscaping and plants. You would be a fantastic Designer for Edible Landscaping!! There are far too many people like me that would need to hire someone like you. :D

Reaction score
I am all for veggies.. keep the lawns to the parks and cultivate the veggies around your homes.. I am sure you can still design a beautiful garden.. with edible plants.. and have maybe a few roses and flowers to keep the front portion of your home looking beautiful.. We used to have a small flower garden in front of our home and the rest was fenced off to make vegetable patch.. my father was more of a veggie man.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, you seem to be very knowledgeable with landscaping and plants. You would be a fantastic Designer for Edible Landscaping!! There are far too many people like me that would need to hire someone like you. :D

You're very sweet, Lilley, but the truth is I read a lot, lol. Gardening is something that has always interested me and something I have had my hand in since I was a kid. If I were going to create an entire garden that was carefully landscaped I would have to hire someone myself, or at least get some help from the folks at one of the local farms or community gardens. It's a lot more work than just putting in a few plants here and there. (Mine are all in containers.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am all for veggies.. keep the lawns to the parks and cultivate the veggies around your homes.. I am sure you can still design a beautiful garden.. with edible plants.. and have maybe a few roses and flowers to keep the front portion of your home looking beautiful.. We used to have a small flower garden in front of our home and the rest was fenced off to make vegetable patch.. my father was more of a veggie man.

I think a small lawn in front of a home in the city, especially one that is not fenced in, is a good idea. Also, planting roses and other flowers is important also because they and certain aromatic herbs are natural pest controllers. Using these plants can protect your food plants as well as you and your family somewhat from everything from mosquitoes to unwanted intrusion from certain animals.

Reaction score
Adding fruiting trees and bushes to your yard can add beauty, shade and yes a yield as opposed to a lawn and ornamental tree. The earth provides if we let it. I am all for it along with any veggies and vines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I consider many vegetables quite pretty, I also really like most fruit trees. I wouldn't mind growing them in my front yard. I live in a very quiet area, the air here is clean and the whole garden is fenced off, so pets can't use it as a bathroom. Unfortunately, my parents are interested only in growing grass:rolleyes: When I move out, I'll plant vegetables everywhere I can:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There's a move on here where neighbours are planting out on street verges all around Australia.
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/video/video_index_September2012.htm
That is a great link. I loved seeing the neighborhood that had actually taken up cement in the walkway out front of homes for gardens.

Found the video on planting native Australia plants in the garden comparable to what I have seen happening here in the PNW US. Planting our native Oregon grape, sala and kinnikkinnik has become popular for their berries and leaves (Tea). Can't say that any of the native greens have become fashionable though. At least not that I have heard of. Lots of the native mushrooms are making their way into the grocery stores. Chanterelle mushrooms were only $4.99 a pound this last week since they are in season right now. Food tastes and what people expect to find in the markets are certainly changing here.

Reaction score
I dug up my whole flower garden this last year which goes all the way around my house and I planted zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, even some herbs. It was fun to incorporate these edibles into my flowers. I also know that there are numerous flowers that you can eat as well.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would want to give my garden over completely to tomorrows veg. I have always prefered to have a "minimum maintainance" garden. Slabs instead of lawn, raised borders and lots of tubs. Even a garden like this can easily, if required, be turned into an "edible" garden rather than a flower garden. The borders can be used for growing the likes of potatoes,carrots and lettuce, while the tubs can be used for a wide variety of herbs. Everything neatly segregated into separate borders and tubs for ease of harvesting. Don't forget to rotate annually.

Reaction score
I rent so I don't have a choice about having a lawn because if I did I would rip it up. Nothing personal for the grass but its just a waste to have a vast expanse of grass when gardens could be planted instead and be productive. I do plant some veggies around my flowers and I love how they look all mingled in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's difficult, when you rent @firelily99. You have to keep things in containers or be willing to leave plants behind should you have the need to move in the future. @TheBrit, I would like to have perennial food producers, but I don't think I could replace the lawn with something until the front yard was closed in to keep out the neighborhood dogs. Even then I'd still have to worry about stray cats.

Good for you, @Lacey! I'd love to be able to have some raised beds with seasonal veggies, but it's way more work than I am able to commit to at this point. As it stands, I'm having to try and figure out how I can protect my organically grown plants from the neighbors' less than eco-friendly activities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're right, @claudine, many vegetables are quite lovely and since some are perennial you could create a lovely edible oasis with the right resources. @justusforus I am convinced more than ever that I want to have a few more fruiting trees. Of course I have limited space so it would have to be varieties that can be kept small.

Reaction score
You're right, @claudine, many vegetables are quite lovely and since some are perennial you could create a lovely edible oasis with the right resources. @justusforus I am convinced more than ever that I want to have a few more fruiting trees. Of course I have limited space so it would have to be varieties that can be kept small.
I have been amazed at some of the yield and beauty of dwarf trees. I had a dwarf mandarin orange outside my kitchen window and along with the fruit, the smell of the blossoms was incredible.

Ask a Question