Edger damages concrete corner

Reaction score
Country
United States
When the guys who cut my grass do the edging, the power edger chips away an inside corner of a walkway. Is there another way to edge a corner like that without damaging it, other than with a pair of shears? (Don't want to use a weed whacker either, since that cuts the grass down too short.) I had the walkway painted, and all of the gray concrete you see is what they've done since then. Thanks.
IMG_3433.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The weed eater is hard to control. They do that elsewhere--along a patio, where it creates a beveled edge in the grass, which is so short that it's dying. Also, it doesn't create a channel in the ground, and it's kind of messy--it rips the grass apart. I'm trying to get them to stop using the weed eater and just use the edger. Wondering if it's possible to avoid damaging the concrete.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that an electric weed eater is not the best option in your situation if you value your concrete. It's just a start really, the edger will destroy it at all. You understand that you are not happy with experience using a spray weed killer. But did you try using a granulated one? You can read a comparing characteristic of the best ones here https://homemakerguide.com/best-weed-killer/. I use Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate because it fits my lawn the best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A weed eater is not the problem--they're using an edger. However they'll be using clippers for the corner itself in the future. I would never use Roundup--it destroys the earth, and it's toxic for the applier and the homeowner. Bayer just agreed to an (insultingly low) $11B settlement on a large suit by plaintiffs harmed by non-Hodgkins lymphoma. There are other nonselective weedkillers that are much less toxic, such as ammonium nonanoate (ammonia soap of fatty acids).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
One gallon of 5% vinagar one cup of granulated salt desolved in the vinagar and 2 teaspoons of dish soap.
Spray on th earea you no longer want the grass, May have to do a second applation You can buy a stronger vinagar but I have found 5% works fine for most areas.

Al

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad it works for you, but I found it wasn't strong enough. However, it's off-topic for this thread.

Ask a Question