eBay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
eBay comes in for some stick from some people

For me, it's the first place I look for anything, I've had well over 400 transactions on it now. Never had a problem.

I have my own rules, I'll only deal with an individual if they've had quite a few transactions and have 100% feedback
I'll only deal with a company with hundreds or thousands of transactions and over 99.5% feedback.

Our electric shower isn't as warm as it should be, so I think one of the elements isn't working, so I ordered a new one last week.
I got an e-mail today telling me the supply was delayed and they couldn't honour the delivery date promised, did I want to wait until more stock came in or have a refund?
I replied saying I'd have a refund. The money was in my PayPal account two minutes after I'd sent the e-mail.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad that you have such a good service. For me, the bugbear is with people selling seeds which were not what they should be. Hoya bought from Spain, China and the UK all have turned out to be cleome! Ebay never penalised the sellers and they still got 100% record. Got a lot of abuse from the UK seller, but got my money back from them all. Giant Strawberry seeds turned out to be alpine .. Hahaha! Oh, lordy! Bird of Paradise seeds turned out to be similar to those of witch hazel. The Chinese seller asked me to leave him a good feedback after refunding me. I told him that he was perpetuating fraud!

High speed ? drill bits turned out to be rubbish and ebay even sent me a question as to its being genuine or not. I was stupid enough not to press for a refund. I did know that it was fake. Guess it? From China again as the seller had a Chinese surname!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Never bought anything from Ebay.

I'll buy anything I need if it's at the right price, not just small items as it's usually cheaper than Argos and Amazon, if you pick the right sellers.

We bought a freezer (known brand) last year.
I also bought my expensive Tyros 5 Electric piano, on eBay though it was from a "proper" music shop. Many high street retailers also use eBay as well as their own internet sites.

I use Paypal. You're protected, it's just one click and it's all done.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I get some great bargains on ebay sometimes - I often look for electronics components or tools that I'd otherwise be unable to afford. Every so often, someone clears out their stuff and sells something I'm after - some of the time the bids come in at the right price :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As soon as the refund for the shower the supplier found was incomplete was in my PayPal account on Monday evening, I ordered another from a different supplier. That arrived this afternoon, I'd swopped them over in about half an hour. As I ordered the same model as our old one the screw holes in the tiles and the water connection were in the right places.
I just needed a new olive for the compression joint which I already had to connect up the water .
Job's a good un'!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered this steel racking for the garage from eBay on Thursday. It was only £26.

This shows alternative configurations.

s-l1600.jpg

It arrived this morning. Really easy to assemble they even give you a pair of cotton gloves in case you've delicate hands.

P1030579.JPG

P1030580.JPG

It's not as strong as Dexion, but it's good enough for a garage. This end is looking quite tidy now. Old kitchen cabinets are great for garage storage too. These have been up for fifteen years.

I use for storage the polystyrene insulated boxes that contains the food my wife orders on-line. They are also handy for sending arcels as they are vry sturdy and weigh next to nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I ordered this steel racking for the garage from eBay on Thursday. It was only £26.

This shows alternative configurations.

View attachment 60668

It arrived this morning. Really easy to assemble they even give you a pair of cotton gloves in case you've delicate hands.

View attachment 60669

View attachment 60670

It's not as strong as Dexion, but it's good enough for a garage. This end is looking quite tidy now. Old kitchen cabinets are great for garage storage too. These have been up for fifteen years.

I use for storage the polystyrene insulated boxes that contains the food my wife orders on-line. They are also handy for sending arcels as they are vry sturdy and weigh next to nothing.

I have found that I can save a huge amount of money on shelves by buying a lighter gage set and do some reinforcement by bolting them together and to the wall. I have a phobia about stuff sitting on the ground or floor. If something is not worth putting on a hanger or a shelf, it belongs in the trash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have found that I can save a huge amount of money on shelves by buying a lighter gage set and do some reinforcement by bolting them together and to the wall. I have a phobia about stuff sitting on the ground or floor. If something is not worth putting on a hanger or a shelf, it belongs in the trash.

The supplier says the mximum weight loading is 386lb per tier!

I doubt if there'll ever be moe than 100lb on the lot.

On the subject of eBay, I've just ordered 6 cartridges for my new Canon TS 8351 printer.
They are coming from Germany, £36 instead of £56 from Canon UK.

Still expensive I was paying around £10 for the ink for my old Epson Stylus photo RX620.

Printer ink is one of the most expensive liquids on earth, about £3,000 a gallon.

Last edited:

Ask a Question