Easy Remedy For Fungal Plant Problems

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States

Aspirin is the remedy for fungal plant problems, Black spot, powdery mildew, and rust are a terrible trio of fungi, which can attack and destroy your plants. Scientists have found that two uncoated aspirin tablets (325 milligrams each) dissolved in 1 quart of water and used as a foliar spray can thwart these diseases.Well, if it's from Fine Gardening I'll try it!

472 34 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Aspirin is the remedy for fungal plant problems, Black spot, powdery mildew, and rust are a terrible trio of fungi, which can attack and destroy your plants. Scientists have found that two uncoated aspirin tablets (325 milligrams each) dissolved in 1 quart of water and used as a foliar spray can thwart these diseases.Well, if it's from Fine Gardening I'll try it!

472 34 2
I haven't tried asprin but hydrogen peroxide used full strength works too. So does whole ground cornmeal if applied early. I will try it this year

Reaction score
I don't usually have a problem with fungi in the garden, but occasionally it does happen. Thanks for the tip - I usually have aspirin around and it is easy to grind up and dissolve in water. This will be worth trying as my garden is not near a store (no road access) and I can do this without having to make a trip anywhere for supplies.

Reaction score
Awesome! That's some really good info, it's always nice to find ways to cure without the use of strong chemicals... aspirin is so mild. It has so many uses! I even use it on my face to dry up pimples and such... you can make a great exfoliating mask with it that helps you get rid of pimples really fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I use aspirin spray regularly just for general health. Recently I have tried baking soda for powdery mildew as well. Aspirin was originally made from willow; the salicylic acid helps the plants grow and form new cells and fight off disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I use dishsoap for all fungal plant problems and it always works:) I had no idea that aspirin can help too. Thank you for sharing this tip, I'll definitely try it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I read a study where they used petri dish inoculated medium and proved the aspirin antifungal. I was using some baking soda, but because it has sodium I was looking for something else so I would not build up salt in the garden. I also found Potassium carbonate could replace Sodium bicarbonate and would leave Potassium, which is good for my particular soil.

Ask a Question